is this grounds for getting fired? (religion)

i went to the emergency room with my husband today because i'm suffering from ppd and i knew they could help my find a psychiatrist. anyway i usually go to the hospital 2 towns over but today i went to the one in my town. since i was a new patient they had to take my information. one of the questions was "what religion are you" i said "no religion" very politely, i have faith and believe in God but i believe in faith not religion. the nurse shot me the dirtiest most disgusted look i've ever seen and my husband saw it too. it's not what i needed seeing as i came for help. do you think i should report her, i mean what she did is intolerance. from the way she looked at me you would have thought i murdered someone. when we got to the room my husband asked me if i saw what she did and said i should report her, should I?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:13 AM on Aug. 22, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I would report it. No, I don't think she will be fired & based on this incident, I don't think she should be. Considering that she didn't verbalize her thoughts, I'm not sure how seriously the hospital will take it. I hope that she is at least informed that it isn't appropriate for her to do anything that would make the patients comforatbale for no good reason. You can'tchange what she thinks but, hopefully no one else will be affected like you were.

I'm just thinking if this is how she treats someone with different religious views than her own how does she treat other patients that are different from her? Does she judge addicts or alcoholics who need medical treatment or rehab referrals? Does she judge people of other races & cultures, too? What about those who opt for medical choics she doesn't personally agree with?

My gut is that this is the tip of the ice berg. Report it; it may do more good than you may ever know
    BubbaLuva

Answer by BubbaLuva at 2:49 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• did you receive the help you went for? that should be your only concern, not how accepting the triage nurse was of your choice of religion. also, did it occur to you (or anyone) that the nurse might've been exasperated beforehand..the ER isn't exactly a calm place to work. just take her 'look' and throw it away. i'm sure she's not thinking about you at this time-why bother giving her a thought now?
    stick and stones!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 8:05 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Although I do not think the nurse will be fired but she will be informed of how to politely respond to questions about others religious beliefs.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 3:16 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• The last time I was in hospital having a test done, the nurse asked me my religion when I was booking in.  I said no religion and she chuckled and said "a lot of people belong to that religion.  I really love Canada!

beeky

Answer by beeky at 6:46 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Have your hubby complain because they will just blame your PPD for your "thinking" she was rude to you. I think what you may have bee experiencing is not a religion issue but a mental health care intolerance
    mom2priceboys

Answer by mom2priceboys at 7:52 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• I've never been asked that question in the emergency room. I was in 2x last month, and never once was I asked that question.

I would most likely let it go. Someone can give me whatever look they want, how I interpret that look is up to me. So I would interpret it "maybe she farted and thought I heard it or smell it" and forget about it.. LOL
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 3:12 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• I would in a heart beat. If a person is not informed that their words and or actions are not tolerated then how will they improve their skills working in a public sector.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 3:15 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Personally I would let it go.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 3:21 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• I know that she was trained on how to be professional and how to keep her personal opinions to herself. I would report her simply because she needs to be corrected. Whether or not she is fired depends on lots of things so it is hard to say.
    jacejenkins

Answer by jacejenkins at 3:37 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• She gave you a look she didn't say anything to u I would let that go.Just don't go back to that hospital.
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 3:41 AM on Aug. 22, 2010