Is it bad to think of your kid as boring?

We have tried and tried to introduce him to new things and places, but my Autistic kid is only interested in staying home, watching tv, listening to music, reading, and video games. We've basically run out of things to do in the local commuting area.

Only places he wants to go (over and over on a daily basis) are the library and video game store. He is not outdoorsy or athletic. I accept who he is, but its ....boring (for me and DH). He doesn't do anything and talk s all day about his games and cartoons. Also he can never leave us alone, he's always there following us around or staring at us. He doesn't seem to have the ability to just do his own thing by himself

His anger management has also made him unwelcome at daycamps, and such as they are not equipped to deal with Special Needs kids (not Autism anyway). When he was little it was easy to find stuff to do, but now he's starting Middle School and its not so easy anymore.

Zoeyis

Asked by Zoeyis at 6:51 AM on Aug. 22, 2010 in General Parenting

• Even if you are not interested in his "rambling", pretend to be... that is probably part of why he is doing that - to get your attention. When he starts on about a particular topic, steer him to something else. Keep the conversation going, but in different directions. Make the effort for your son. He's worth it.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 8:09 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Guess what? Your son is a typical preteen. They lay around the house and watch t.v. and play video games and act grumpy. Special needs has nothing to do with this time in his life and his recent behavior. It is typical. Your challenge is to find something that gets him going... i.e. music - get him a keyboard or the guitar hero game if he is able to play it. How about art? Buy a cheap bed sheet and some paints and brushes, put them in the back yard and paint together. Show him how to use a camera and go out exploring the beautiful things in the world. Autistic or not, your child needs some stimulation from the world outside television and video games. You might find that he has talents that you are not yet aware of. Good luck and keep it fun for both of you!
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 7:55 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• If reading is his thing start your own family book club. Pick some books that you can turn into adventures. Say a book about a local famous person then go visit a museum or something talked about in the book. Read the books together then ddiscuss what happened or why or how it made you both feel. Turn his intrest in reading to an educational family experience.
    emptynstr

Answer by emptynstr at 7:59 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• just dont tell your kid that he is boring. my mom used to tell me that cuz i liked to read or just hang out outside. my mom was always a partier. she used to tell me all the time how i wasnt like her, cuz i didnt like to party. shed say that i was boring and like an old person in a young persons body. i am 31 now and that still sticks with me. i feel bad about the things i like. i love to read and hang out at home/ i think it is good that i dont drink or party since i have two lil kids. but sometimes i feel bad about that and i know its cuz of what she used to say to me.
    jamiethornton26

Answer by jamiethornton26 at 7:11 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Both of our children have autism, and we have found a variety of programs and activities that ARE designed for children with special needs--specifically autism! I live in eastern PA (and would be happy to point you in the right direction), and we found a special needs horseback riding program, a FREE summer day camp, a soccer program, a baseball league, golf lessons, and a great karate program for them! I taught them how to swim. I'm working with other parents with autistic children to build a Boy Scout chapter. I've also considered starting my own special needs swim team.

My point is, you really need to think outside the box and look at possibilities through your SON'S natural interests and talents! Since he's into music--what about taking instrument lessons, or joining the school band and playing percussion? School lessons would be free and he'll belong to something, make friends and become more social and "interesting!"
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:06 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• no, i'd never do that to him. I'm just personally disappointed that I don't have a kid that likes to go out and toss a ball with me and wants to do projects or go hang with other kids his age.

I accept who he is, I just feel like I'm not getting much out of the relationship anymore. I keep it to myself and my DH, whose finally himself (reluctantly) starting to admit he's not all that enthusiastic about being home and just listening to the boy ramble nonstop about stuff we don't really care about or don't wanna hear about anymore. Even when we do take him places, he's still on about those topics. Hopefully he'll start outgrowing some of this soon, cuz I cant see him functioning in the adult world at this rate.
    Zoeyis

Comment by Zoeyis (original poster) at 7:29 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• yea dont tell your kid he is boring since he follows u and your husband around why dont ya just do out door activity's so he can see how much fun ya haven if u tried that and it didnt work then your son is not an outdoors type of kid but at least he likes book and will get hurt less just make sure he gets exercise
    cnoble927

Answer by cnoble927 at 7:41 AM on Aug. 22, 2010