Is it a double standard if...

we get after the DH about too much sports or video games, yet we rationalize shopping for clothes and shoes as necessities?

His rational being his interests are his escapisms.

Zoeyis

Asked by Zoeyis at 7:39 AM on Aug. 22, 2010 in Relationships

• Yes, but there should always be balance. If we are getting on our dh all the time for his "me" time, yet we don't understand why they have a problem with ours. Then I see it as being double standard.
    hdb

Answer by hdb at 8:28 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Yes and no. He does what he does to escape from real life. You do what you do to have pretty new things. Sure, both could be considered escape techniques, but one produces items that are useful to the family and the other produces wasted time with nothing to show for it.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 7:46 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• hmm good question!
    san78

Answer by san78 at 9:13 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• my new clothes don't really benefit the boys in the house, but I see your point lol ;)
    Zoeyis

Comment by Zoeyis (original poster) at 7:54 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• ai think as long as either provides joy or something for the person it is not wasted time.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 8:02 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Yes, getting out and shopping can be rejuvinating just to get away. Even if you don't buy anything it's an escape out of the house.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 9:32 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• just like for him watching a ball game or immersing himself in a fake world and killing monsters or whatever is relaxing for him (whether we can relate to it or not)
    Zoeyis

Comment by Zoeyis (original poster) at 9:38 AM on Aug. 22, 2010