3 Month Old - Constipation

My daughter is 14 Weeks old and suffers from constipation. Due to her reflux we are adding Rice Cereal to her formula which I suspect causes her constipation but her ped. says she needs a thicker formula to help with her reflux. To counteract her constipation we have been asked to feed her 2oz. of adult apple juice and we have but up until last week, it stopped working. Her stools are very thick and almost dry. What should I do? Should I switch to Oatmeal instead? Any thoughts would be great! (ps- she just had her 1st rice ceral today and did great!)

MamaMae08

Asked by MamaMae08 at 4:42 PM on Oct. 8, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Try prune juice
    Myjoy82

Answer by Myjoy82 at 4:55 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• OK- I know this is gross but your baby will totally thank you. It's kind of old school but it will not her her at all and it will bring relief. Take one of those bulb syringes, like you use for her nose, fill it about half full of warm water and put it up her bum like a thermometer, Squeeze the water and it will bring her relief. It's not painful and is probably a lot better then being constipated. My mom used to do it on me and I've done it with my own
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 5:05 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• I bought supositories from the store for babies and they worked Very fast. My Ped. told me to cut them in half length wise and insert. One time it only took like 2 min. another time it took about 15 min. Have you tried a rectal therm. with petroleum jelly on it? Like another person said, try different kinds of juices too. I don't know if there is a difference between regular apple, prune etc. juice and the "baby" juices, but I buy the juices on the baby isle. FYI: the white grape is super sweet... Good luck! I know how fussy babies can be when they are constipated.
    kristyrea

Answer by kristyrea at 5:27 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• Apple juice or apple sauce :) Let your physician know too of what you want to do.
    JCRestoredme

Answer by JCRestoredme at 6:03 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• MY SON GOT REALLY BAD CONSTIPATION, DUE TO sIMILAC. WE GAVE HIM BOUT 2 OZ PRUNE JUICE WITH A LITTLE WATER AND ABOUT20 MINUTES LATER HE WENT WIITH NO PROBLEMS. iT WAS SO SAD TO SEE HIM TRYING SO HARD HE WOULD ALMOST CRY. Maybe she is just not ready for cereal. I went to a nutrionist and they said it's not good to put it in their form. even though so many people do. and that they should start about 4 months. but you should go by what time you feel is right for your own child thats just what i was told.
    BabyGsMaMa13

Answer by BabyGsMaMa13 at 6:10 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• You can boil a few prunes with water and have her drink about a tablespoon or two. That helped my son. Also, massage her lower back and stomach.
    SugaB28

Answer by SugaB28 at 7:13 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• My pedi said to use Pear juice (baby) instead of prune.
    JackJacksMomma

Answer by JackJacksMomma at 9:00 PM on Oct. 8, 2008