I am five and a half months pregnant with my first pregnancy. My Dr asks me all the time if I am having contractions... How the heck do I know?

I don't know what is a contraction and what isn't so how would I know?

girlneffy

Asked by girlneffy at 4:47 PM on Oct. 8, 2008 in Pregnancy

• LOl! idk
    KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 4:48 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• its a really bad cramp and your stomach gets really hard. i got bad pain in my back with mine. with my first i didnt know i was even in labor til they old me.
    edgpag

Answer by edgpag at 4:48 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• When you feel one, you will know.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 4:49 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• Your tummy gets hard and than it will release. Those are Braxton Hicks contractions. I think they will hurt a little but I'm not sure because mine never did. The real contractions will feel the same but they hurt! You will definitly know if you have real contractions. You need the book What to Expect When your Expecting. I loved that book and it had all of the basic answers that all moms want to know. I also have What to Expect the First Year and leave it out on the table because I look at it so much.
    Kenzies_momma

Answer by Kenzies_momma at 4:49 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• umm it hurts like hell! believe me you will know! it feels worse then cramps when your on your period! it sucks
    4lyfe56

Answer by 4lyfe56 at 4:50 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• Uhhhhhhhhhh you will know, trust me!
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 5:11 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• As I believe Bill Cosby's wife said... "Try pulling your bottom lip over the top of your head" that might give you some kind of idea... LOL! No, actually it's about the worst sort of cramping you could imagine...
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 5:13 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• That's not entirely acurate. A lot of women, myself included, have very quiet labors, where they don't notice they're contracting until their water breaks. The best way to determine if you're having contractions, in my experience, is to lay down and keep your hands on the to of your belly. If you feel a tightening sensation that's pretty consistant (as in, not moving around, and not just fetal movement) then it's most likely a contraction. Since you're only five and a half months along, they'll most likely be braxton-hick's, or false, contractions, but you might want to keep an eye on the clock just to make sure they're not regular or increasing in frequency.
    prinzesstephi

Answer by prinzesstephi at 5:19 PM on Oct. 8, 2008