Does anyone take the carseat on the airplane to use in the airplane seat? How does it work out?

tootoobusy

Asked by tootoobusy at 7:57 AM on Aug. 22, 2010 in Travel

• We always bring our car seats on to the plant. All the car seats that I have had fit. From infant car seats to the Nautilus' and the Apex 85 and some Radian car seats. I find it much easier to strap them into the seat for the hours and they know that they can not get up. I have never had any issues with them looking for a particular FAA sticker on it or anything. My biggest thing was when I travel with the 3 little ones by myself and need to use the restroom I take usually the youngest with me and I leave the older two to entertain myself. Not the ideal situation but it works well. I always use a double stroller and strap the car seats onto it. Then the littlest rides in the stroller. Some times I need help getting on to the plane with so many car seats and a few carry ons but the flight attendants are very helpful.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 12:41 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Regular car seats often won't fit, you have to buy special seats that are FAA approved, most car seats are not. The seats won't protect them in the event of a crash and the regular seat belt will hold them in the seat in the event of turbulence. Just make sure that they keep their seat belt on at all times.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 8:23 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Call your local airline and find out, they will let you come in prior to trip and making the proper seating arrangements, we did that when our oldest dd was a baby
    jjk45xox

Answer by jjk45xox at 9:45 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• no, it wouldn't saved them in a plane wreck. There's hardly any room in those planes as it is. I just let em sit on the seat itself.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 7:59 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• No. The seats aren't wide enough for a car seat.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 8:01 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• We did. A lap baby can be a projectile in case of turbulence or a crash. Car seats are recommended by the FAA

Answer by rkoloms at 8:09 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• if its a smaller car seat & not one of the large convertible ones they fit just fine. If they're over 20 lbs then its more of a hassle. I've flown w/ my dd when she was 5 mo & 13 mo. I loved having the car seat when she was 5 mo, it gave me a place for her to sleep comfortably. Now that she's bigger she won't sit still in it anyways so I don't bother.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 8:38 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• We did when the kids were younger, and our regular car seats did in fact fit in the airplane seat.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 9:08 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Never had the oppertunity. Sorry.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 8:43 PM on Aug. 22, 2010