Anxiety meds and breastfeeding?

Does anyone have any anxiety meds that we safe to take while breastfeeding and still affective? I have very high anxiety, but I really want to bf my son when he is born! I''m going to discuss this with my doctor, I just wanted to have a little list of some first.

SabrenaLeigh

Asked by SabrenaLeigh at 8:15 AM on Aug. 22, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I'm pretty sure your doctor will know which are safe for you to take. Better to ask him/her than those of us who have no medical training.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 8:21 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• research on line before going. They are categorized by B & C classes, look that up too. You want one that's in the B class & after researching you'll understand why. Sorry I don't have any names to give you & don't for a second assume the dr's gonna know. The best person to ask would be a pharmisist.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 8:35 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Have you been tested for a magnesium deficiency? This is a common cause of anxiety and migraines.

Your therapist is the best person to decide on the right medication for you

Answer by rkoloms at 9:44 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Zoloft and Celexa have been recommended to me from my OB and my psychologist but you have to talk with your doctor about what is best for you.
    psugal

Answer by psugal at 12:22 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• There are many that are safe. The best people to ask USUALLY aren't doctors. IBCLC's and LLLLeaders know a lot about meds. Dr Thomas Hale has a book called Medications and Mothers Milk, and also responds to emails or has a forum (can't remember). The Lact-Med database is also a good resource, but for me, it's difficult to understand. Generally speaking, most medications are safe while nursing, meaning there are very few that are dangerous. Many doctors simply don't know or aren't sure so they will say not to nurse just to cover their asses.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 2:16 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Additionally, stop into the Breastfeeding Moms group here, Gdiamante and TabiCat, along with a few others, either know the information or can easily access it for you.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 2:17 PM on Aug. 22, 2010