how long should a virus last??

my son started with a fever monday so i took him to urgent care tuesday bc his sister had just got over pnemonia they told me its just a virus and i took him home and he was showing no signs of getting better so i took him to his doc friday and they said its just a virus and told me if his symtoms worsen take him to the hossy well the med arnt keeping his fever down gor long and his cough is getting alot worse and i just wanted to know how long does a virus usually last bc for me it only last a few days it's never takem this long for him to get better! And i don't want to waste my whole day at the hossy for them to just tell me that its just a virus agian!

sweetmissa47

Asked by sweetmissa47 at 8:19 AM on Aug. 22, 2010 in Kids' Health

• If it is a virus at all, it seems to be a very bad virus. I would take him to an urgent care center and have another doctor take a look at him.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 8:25 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Usually at the most a week, but it really depends on many different factors. If his fever is above 103, I would go to the er.
    hdb

Answer by hdb at 8:33 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• It depends. Flu is a virus, and it can be very long lasting. There are literally 1000s of viruses, so it is hard to say definitively how long it should last. I would trust your instincts as a mom, if you feel it is something more going on than a virus, then push for tests.
    cleanaturalady

Answer by cleanaturalady at 1:40 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• I would trust your mommy instincts and if you are worried then I would take him back in. Insist that there is something more going on. Maybe they should do a chest xray? But generally your mommy instincts are right.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 12:05 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• maybe a day or so if long go back to dr
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 7:22 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• bump
    san78

Answer by san78 at 1:08 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• When in doubt- call and ask. It can't hurt but it could help. A virus has no set length and could last one day or quite a few.
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 1:27 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• i agree, depends on the virus... if it's the 24 hour flu... then 24 hours... others last for a week or longer... if you are concerned i would take him to his pediatrician, or call the ped to see what they say...
    asil

Answer by asil at 10:10 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• take him to urgent care or the dr.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 1:35 PM on Sep. 13, 2010