Why do my inlaws think its ok to gradually increase the cigarette smoke around me (pregnant!!!) and my kids?

When I was pregnant with my first son 7 years ago we told them we in NO WAY wanted smoke around them. And they said OK....and stopped! For several years it was not an issue.

Now I am pregnant with my 3rd and I know they are slowly sneaking it around us again. My FIL lit up the other day in the same room as me and BOTH of my kids!

I just got up and told the kids to come with me, and we headed to the pool outside!!!

But why do they have to put us in this position to tell them again!!! They KNOW I hate it. Why dont they just not do it around us and make it easy for us? IRRITATED!!!!!

Why dont smokers realize how badly it smells and how bad it is for little kids and PREGNANT MOMS TOO!!!!???

mom2twobabes

Asked by mom2twobabes at 8:23 AM on Aug. 22, 2010 in Health

• They are ignorant and need to be educated. Over and over.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 8:26 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Now that I'm an ex smoker & have a kid I can't believe how annoying I was as a smoker! Don't ppl who smoke understand the chemicals & health problems? Kill yourself all you want but stop blowing it my direction! When FIL lit up the other day I would have asked him what he was doing. When he said smoking I would've reminded him that he'd agreed not to smoke around me & the kids. If you wanna get annoying w/ it start providing them w/ articles about what smoking does to you. Large colorful pictures of smokers lungs work too. My mom used to send me stuff like this when I was a smoker & it irritated the hell out of me.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 8:28 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• You need to tell them again. Unless you live at their home, you have the right to make the rules in your own home. Designate a smoking area (the garage or wherever you and your children are not likely to be) and put an ashtray out there for them to use and make it very clear that when they are visiting your home, they are not allowed to smoke anywhere else.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 8:29 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• In my Inlaws' case, I've learned inlaws are total jackasses. My DH's inlaws (my parents) have never been disrespectful like that.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 8:31 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• you need to tell them its cool if u want to kill yourselves but don't kill your grand children too do u want that
    hit it where it hurt if its your place dont allow them in the house unless they leave the stick killers at home
    think of your kids health and your own
    cnoble927

Answer by cnoble927 at 8:38 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• If they are smoking in their own home and you don't live there, I'd just recommend not going there to visit while you are pregnant and as little as possible otherwise. Them smoking around you while you are there is very tacky but even if they weren't smoking while you are visiting, if they smoke in the house, the dangers of breathing in the air in the house are almost as bad. The smoke stays in the curtains, furniture, wallpaper, etc. so being at their house regularly, whether they are smoking or not, is still putting everyone at risk.
    Andrewsmom70

Answer by Andrewsmom70 at 8:57 AM on Aug. 22, 2010