What is your definition of success?

My therapist asked me this question a couple of days ago. Having never though about it before, I pondered for a few minutes. Then I said, "It's having the ability to fullfill the needs of others". She gave me a somewhat puzzed look and said at least 80% of people she ask that question of says money or some kind of "American dream". response. I am just wondering what is your definition? What were your parents' definition? Do you think their's influenced yours positively og negatively? Does morals play a part?

KISS1224

Asked by KISS1224 at 8:40 AM on Aug. 22, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• My definition would be doing something that I like and enjoy in life, it doesn't necessarily imply money!

Answer by older at 8:41 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• I think if you feel you've met a goal, you've met success. Many of us get turned from our paths when we get married or have families and never see our dreams come into fruition and it leaves you feeling left behind or frustrated. By the time you get the time or money or freedom to pick up where you left off its WAAAAY after the fact and often involves having to start all over if its even worth the effort anymore in some cases. Sometimes its not worth it or even available and that leaves you feeling like "What now?"
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 8:43 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• IMO, success is being happy and fulfilled with your life. We all have different things we want, so I can't really think of a more specific answer. :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:59 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• To me success equals happiness.  If you are truly happy with yourself and your life then you are successful.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 10:24 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• I would have said contentment.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 10:24 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• my definition is my submission to Allah. in that is success as He says over and over in the Quran
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 10:44 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• To me success is when you met or exceeded your goals. Doesn't all have to be about money.
    Kari126

Answer by Kari126 at 10:47 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Raising my children to love the Lord and to love others.
    Laura2U

Answer by Laura2U at 11:25 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• my definition would be to reach the goals that i put for myself and my suroundings. my parents always thought that thing with the money and the american dream as success.
    Alejandra10

Answer by Alejandra10 at 11:35 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Personal happiness , contentment, satisfaction and fulfillment with/in my life.

My idea of success has nothing to do with money. And everything to do with "self", self realization, happiness with myself, contentment with myself. Being happy and content with myself, leads to being successful and happy in life. Money doesn't always bring happiness and contentment. If a person is just an unhappy person, they will never see success in their lifetime. They can be highly successful finanically, but if they are unhappy with themselves they will not view themselves or their lives as successsful. An unhappy, discontent, unsatisfied, unfulfilled person does not feel successful no matter what they do, they want more to try and fulfill themselves and their feelings. But those things can't be achieved externally. They can only be achieved internally, and the benefits are reaped externally.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 3:05 PM on Aug. 22, 2010