how many working moms do we have?

do you work bc you need the money or bc you enjoy working? what do you with your time off? how much time off do you get? are you the bread winner in your house? and what do your parents think about you working?

angevil53

Asked by angevil53 at 8:41 AM on Aug. 22, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I work for both reasons. I don't work full time, but the little money that I do bring in definitely helps us. I homeschool our children during the days, and on weekends we have family time. I only work 2-3 days a week from 5-11. So I get a lot of time off. Definitely NOT the bread winner. lol. My parents don't really have a say about my working. They could care less, as long as we are taking care of what we need to survive.
    Aingls

Answer by Aingls at 8:49 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Isn't the term "working mom" redundant? :P

FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 9:13 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• I was a SAHM until my younger son began full-day school, then I went back to work (last fall) in a completely new career, as a special education teacher. I work because I want to (always had up until I was a SAHM, and even then, I ran a very successful Ebay and home based business--I like having my OWN money!), and being the mom of autistic children, who have progressed incredibly well, I want to be able to "pay it forward" and help others.

I also volunteer a lot in my community participating, and helping to run and develop additional programs for special needs children--I've found there is an incredible level of interest and need, but not many parents have the time, or want to put in the effort to spearhead the efforts--because there are an awful lot of hoops to jump through in order to get a new program up and running!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:51 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• I'm a single mom and so I have to work. I teach 5th grade social studies and LOVE IT. My son just started all day pre-k this year so we are on the same schedule. We have all our time off together so it works out great. My mom and dad were both teachers and they totally support my choice. :-)
    Andrewsmom70

Answer by Andrewsmom70 at 8:53 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• I work. I have worked since I was 7. I started out with my dad putting in tobacco every summer. Then I got jobs as a teenager. I have worked my entire married life (31 years) I settled on teaching 20 years ago. I wanted something that challenges me while allowing me to give my children their vacations at home. Teaching has fit that and more. We are part of the generation with the mind set that we needed a bigger house, a bigger car, expensive vacations, many tv's, etc. Now, I wish we had not wanted so many "things" and realized number and size aren't what is important. My first house would have been paid for years ago if we had been satisfied with 1,100 square feet and a payment of $250/month. We wanted a bigger house, nicer cars, .... It took 2 people working to get that. Being a SAHM would have given us a different kink of satisfaction.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 8:54 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• for the money and adult interaction
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 9:11 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• I work on the school schedule at a daycare/preschool. I work because both the kids are in school all day. The money will be used to get ahead, I hope.
    I also need to work to stay sane. I was a SAHM for years. I missed the social interaction.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 9:26 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• i work full time. I work for the extra money and our health insurance is through my job. I get two day off a week and I usually do something with my daughter on my days off and get caught up on stuff around the house. My husband is the main breadwinner of the house.
    amymartinez0214

Answer by amymartinez0214 at 10:09 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• I was a SAHM for 16 years then I got a part time job as a cashier in our local supermarket.  I love my job and only work because I want too.    I usually work 4 or 5 hours shifts that can start anywhere from 8:00 am to 7:00 pm any day of the week.  My dh is the main bread winner.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 10:52 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• I go to my full time job because I have to. I work my part time job and business because I want to. I have very little time off but I spend all of my time with my family. During the week (M-F) I might end up with an hour a night to talk with my family. On the weekends it is usually half of Saturday and all day Sunday. I am the bread winner in our home. The kids and my husband do help with the business but my full time job is the majority of our income. My parents don't think anything of me working. My mom worked when I was younger.
    Kari126

Answer by Kari126 at 10:53 AM on Aug. 22, 2010