I was offered a babysititng job in April ........the mom works 4 day a week and the son whom normally watches his brother was gonna get a summer job

well....he didnt ,,and the mother said she would still use me because she promised me this income (i had told her back in April this would be great and i wouldnt have to get a night job)i feel sooooooooooooo bad taking her $$$ ,,especially when the economy is so bad,,,,,,any advice???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:33 AM on Jun. 30, 2008 in Money & Work

• You know her and the situation the best.

1) Perhaps they really can afford to still pay you to do the job or 2) They really didn't want to disappoint you seeing you were counting on this income.

My reaction I think would depend on the people and what I felt they could handle. If I knew that paying me was NOT an burden for them then I would still work, but if I new that It as an burden for them then I would express to them that it was okay..that I didn't have to work and she can just let her son do it save some cash.

If after that talk still kept me on then I wouldn't worry about it!!
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 9:00 AM on Jun. 30, 2008

• I really wouldn't feel too bad about it. She did say that she wants to use you... if I was her and hurting for money, I would definitely use the son and not have to pay someone else. But that doesn't seem to be the issue... You know the situation the best though. Just charge her a fair amount, and leave it at that.
    Silvia1011

Answer by Silvia1011 at 10:41 AM on Jun. 30, 2008

• I would take the pay until you find another job. Actively look, maybe she knows someone? Let her know you're looking. That way it's kind of like her giving you notice.
    jackimci

Answer by jackimci at 1:18 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• I'd think she'd let you go if she could not really afford you. You should not feel badly. You are doing a job, providing a service. If the son had a job would he pay you? I'm thinking he's a teen and so I would doubt it. Talk to her, but do feel badly for being paid to work. Her problems are not directly yours, unless you end up losing your job do to her tough econocmic times.
    Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 1:53 PM on Jun. 30, 2008