How can I help my child do #2 on the toilet?

My daughter will be 3 in January and is completely "potty" trained, but holds her bowel movements until she is constipated. We go to the toilet 5, 10, 15 times a day, every couple of days, with her saying that her tummy hurts and that she has to poo... but to no avail!
1. We've tried giving her something to put her feet on for leverage.

2. We've tried Karo Syrup and other more natural laxatives. Even OTC laxatives. We just got the opposite problem.

3. We've talked about how the poo goes away and it doesn't seem to bother her or scare her that it's being flushed.

4. I've let her watch me go (TMI?) and she's seen her cousin do it successfully.

5. We've practiced with dolls and talked about what to do.

I just don't know how else to help her. We're at the point now where she holds it until her stomach hurts and then she'll have an accident or go in her diaper at nighttime. Help, please!

mmw1053

Asked by mmw1053 at 4:55 PM on Oct. 8, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Maybe it's not mental but medical... I have a colon problem and when I was a child I couldn't go #2. I wouldn't go for days and then I would be in major pain... If I were you I would talk to her doctor.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:03 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• I got mine to sit on it and sing while he goes... It worked like a charm... He still does it (and hes 5)even at wal-mart... Its so funny but it worked... Just let her sit there till she gos...
    HottMamaRossx2

Answer by HottMamaRossx2 at 5:04 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• Thanks HottMamaRossx2, but one of the problems I didn't have space to mention is that she won't sit there for very long. We've tried forcing her, timing her, etc. But that seems to make her want to get up even more than before. A friend suggested dipping her hand in a cup of warm water and that didn't work either.

As SabrinaMBowen mentioned, maybe I should take her to the doctor. She's always had harder stools than I thought was normal.

Thanks!
    mmw1053

Answer by mmw1053 at 5:22 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• My daughtrer use to do the same thing only to find out it was a security thing with her being so comfortable going in her diaper! so I stopped putting her in a diaper! (I'm not sure if you are a stay at home mommy) if you are it's much easier to train them.
    I took my daughter shopping and bought her all kinds and colors of undies and told her she was gonna wear them from now on!
    first thing in the morning and also at night! she never went poo poo or pee in her bed, she only had a couple accidents during the day and would cry for me to put a diaper on her... : ( poor baby! I stood strong and never went against my word.
    She trained in just a couple days! a couple messes to clean up is better than changing a big girls poo poo diaper any day!

I wish you Luck!

Anonymous

• yes, i am a stay at home mom and she does wear her princess panties all day, through her nap and until bed time. unfortuantely that hasn't helped with the #2 problem. however, it IS what got us to the point we're at with #1. i totally recommend going to underwear only, cold-turkey if you can handle a few accidents!!! she stays dry through naptime about 99.9% of the time and often at night as well. it's just this darn bowel movement thing. but since i posted this a few weeks ago, we've had some progress. (a couple of successful BMs in the toilet) so maybe i just need to be more patient.
    mmw1053

Answer by mmw1053 at 7:01 PM on Oct. 17, 2008