how do you get a toddler to eat when she is sick?

my dd is 21 months old and is throwing up and has a fever...and she refuses to eat..how do i get her to eat something?

mommylisar

Asked by mommylisar at 9:35 AM on Aug. 22, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Don't worry about calories right now, just keep her well hydrated. Chamomile tea will help with the nausea. Do not give her gatorade, or any other sugar-loaded drinks.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:42 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Like the first answer says just keep her hydrated for now. Her appetite will pick back up when she feels better.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 9:45 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• all she will drink is her water
    mommylisar

Comment by mommylisar (original poster) at 9:42 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• I agree with rkoloms, she is just going to keep throwing up her food so don't worry about that, just concentrate on keeping her hydrated. Try Pedialite popsicles, or something else she can sip or slowly suck on.
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 9:44 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Do you eat when your throwing up and sick? No offense but I don't blame her. Try mixing a jello packet with water and give that to her as a juice. Plain water can cause you to throw up more. but you want to get the fluids in so if the jello doesn't work try some pedialight. Just keep pushing the liquids and go easy on the food for a few days.
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 9:45 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Try to get her to drink some pedialyte. It's got stuff in it that should keep her hydrated.
    Mom2unangel

Answer by Mom2unangel at 10:00 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• I don't... it doesn't matter if they eat as long as you can get them to drink enough fluids.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:04 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• I made my DD pure fruit popsicles. She couldnt refuse a popsicle. Just puree fruit and a little bit of gelatin in water and freeze in those popsicles moullds. Keeps them hydrated,cool, and is soothing on the throat. What kid doesnt love a popsicle:)
    kricketandisla

Answer by kricketandisla at 11:22 AM on Aug. 22, 2010