is he ok to miss JK in school?

Hello again everyone.
As you know September is just around the corner which means bells will be ringing, yellow buses will be everywhere and kiddies will be back in school starting a new year.

Coen is 4 and should be starting school. However due to his developmental delays (which are minor now) I would assume that is why the School hasn't called us and set up a plan.
Luckily the daycare he is in offers a JK program based on the same curriculum and he knows everyone there and they all know his needs so he will remain there this year. M question is... how is it going to affect him next year when he starts SK?
I guess Im kind of discouraged that the school hasnt called us when they were supposed to give us a plan for him. Should I call the school board and inquire?

Coensmom

Asked by Coensmom at 9:38 AM on Aug. 22, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• You need to contact them

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:41 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Is "JK" Junior Kindergarten?! I'm not sure what "SK" is?

Anyway, when you register your child for Kindergarten, your child's skills are assessed, and the school will recommend appropriate placement--whether that is special education, a developmental classroom, or typical classroom.

Have you had your son officially diagnosed? What programs or services has he received thus far?

My children have autism, and because of the Early Intervention program and the special education preschool programs they attended, their records and transition to Kindergarten was incredibly smooth. Their records followed them, and we just went through the motions of registration, evaluation and placement.

You need to advocate on behalf of your son, and demand these things! School is almost or already in session for this school year, sitting around waiting or assuming is not being productive. Your school district OWES it to your son!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:46 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• be proactive and make them live up to their obligations
    mamak57

Answer by mamak57 at 9:52 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Contrary to a lot of determined belief, there is no advantage to starting formal education earlier, and there are many good reasons to delay the start.

When the education system fails (look around) the impetus isn't to scrap the whole mess (because too many people rely on the employment and are not interested in making changes to the system that ultimately works for them) but to start earlier. If kids are illiterate at university entrance, clearly the problem isn't that the system is broken, it's that the kids aren't learning their letters at 5, 4, 3, 2, 1... there is no 'too early' and no respect at all for the developmental processes necessary to accomplish the goals, because those are irrelevant to the needs of the system...

Later works better for most children.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 9:54 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Well he has been going to a center for development and treatment. He has an O.T a P.T and a speech therapist.
    When I registered him I had to fill out a special form for him and I submitted that. They knew that he was seeking treatment and someone from the school board was supposed to call and come watch him at daycare to see how he will do in school.
    I guess I should have done something sooner. I will call them first thing Monday morning and see what they say.
    Butterfly Blue jk is Junior Kindergarten and SK is Senior Kindergarten.
    Coensmom

Comment by Coensmom (original poster) at 10:17 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• You need to advocate for your son and call them yourself!
    psugal

Answer by psugal at 12:25 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Call the school office and find out what is going on, kids do fall through the cracks
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 1:01 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Well if the school was to supposed to do something then I would be on them to do it. I disagree with the PP though. For kids hitting milestones normally there is nothing to say that earlier is better and for maturity's sake holding them back won't hurt. However kids with delays, they need the practice that the extra classes give them in learning how to learn and to be in a school environment. In this case, if they were just coloring ( a very simplistic example) it would be useful. The idea is to teach classroom skills more than anything else at that level.

Any program that you have your son in will be useful and will help him in kindergarten. My personal experience tells me that he will probably be better off in the daycare program than in a public school program anyway. Though not all districts are as bad as mine.
    Liansmommie

Answer by Liansmommie at 3:43 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• yes you need to be informed to prepare.gl
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 11:24 PM on Aug. 22, 2010