Need Advice About my 4 year old having nightmares

Our 4 year old dd had a nightmare about a month ago that really scared her. Since then she has been scared to go to bed. She will start asking me about bed time in the afternoon. It has now gotten to the point where she is afraid to take naps in her room too. She gets anxious before bedtime. We have tried playing music, that helped a few days, reading to her, reassuring her that nothing bad will happen. Last night she worked herself up so much she almost made herself sick. Then she didn't go to sleep until about 1 am! I am getting to my wits end! I don't know what else to do for her.

mantamoo

Asked by mantamoo at 9:46 AM on Aug. 22, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Yes it is probably the vitamin then. My Son who is 3 was having the same problem until we heard about the vitamin thing. Now he gets it after breakfast and no more issues at night or nightmares at all. Also a half of a banana before bed makes him sleep like a rock.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 12:55 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Has she talked to you about the nightmare? Try having her explain it to you and then turn the nightmare into a silly dream. For instance if it was a scary monster chasing her, have her imagine it as a silly monster tripping and falling all over himself. Just break the nightmare down step by step changing all aspects of it. Hope that helps, poor baby, I have a 4 yr old daughter myself. Good luck:)
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 9:49 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• nightmares are inevitable. the average person has a nightmare once a month. you just need to explain to her that it wasn't real and nothing can hurt her in her sleep. you can also try making a dream catcher with her, family craft, with a wire hanger and yarn and tell her it will protect her from bad dreams
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 9:52 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• We have talked to her about the nightmare. Usually it sounds silly (most dreams do), and we tell her that. But if it gets to the point where she is crying I tell her that it's not real and she's ok. She thinks her bad dreams come from her wall that her bed is up against. We haven't tried the dream catcher yet. At this point I don't even know if that would work.
    mantamoo

Comment by mantamoo (original poster) at 9:57 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• I also gave her a doll that was mine when I was a kid. I told her that the doll will help protect her. It only worked for a little bit.
    mantamoo

Comment by mantamoo (original poster) at 10:00 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• This may seem like a wierd question but, do you give her a multivitamin at night? If you do then instead give it to her in the morning. Childrens Multivitamins given in the evening cause increased brain activity & can cause trouble sleeping & nightmares.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 10:01 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• well dream catchers are supposed to catch the bad dreams. make one with her, put it on her wall and tell her that it will suck up the bad dreams so they can't get to her
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 10:02 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• I sometimes give her them after dinner. I never even thought of that.
    mantamoo

Comment by mantamoo (original poster) at 10:03 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• you can try putiing a night light on leavig her door open .talk to her and lether know they are not real and nothing is going to happen to her .make sure she knows that mommy and daddy are right there .
    britme1027

Answer by britme1027 at 10:53 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• She has a night light and sleeps with the bedroom door open and the bathroom light on. The vitamin must be it. I don't always give it to her at night but I do frequently. That will stop. Plus I was reading that sometimes different foods can cause this (they didn't mention what foods). Maybe I should have her snack time at night be changed. she usualy goes to bed at 8pm, and her snack is around 7:30pm. maybe that is too late. Plus she is going to be starting preschool in a couple of months, and I am pregnant. The last baby I was pregnant with we lost. Our dd was only 2 1/2 years old then, but I think she's remembering a little bit and I think it is scaring her. Also I recently started a job at home. I think all these things might have something to do with this. Thank you all for your help.
    mantamoo

Comment by mantamoo (original poster) at 5:11 PM on Aug. 22, 2010