First Amendment rights to military uniforms and medals?

http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/08/17/1780561/appeals-court-stolen-valor-act.html

BlueCollarMama

Asked by BlueCollarMama at 10:18 AM on Aug. 22, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• BlueCollarMama

Comment by BlueCollarMama (original poster) at 10:18 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Great--more people proving they don't have brains
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 10:22 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Hopefully it goes to the Supreme Court.

Natesmom507

Answer by Natesmom507 at 10:28 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• I have a multi-sided coin on this issue. I think it is deplorable that this man lied about the CMH. I'm glad and not too surprised that he is in jail for some con he was running. However, you can't legislate morality. If the SCOTUS rules that you can't lie, then we are all in trouble. Every person tells a lie at some point be it intentional or accidental to be corrected once realized. It is still a lie. I think the sticking point is the lie was only benefitted him, but didn't harm another. But, how do you regulate honesty. That is where integrity comes in. You teach your children to have integrity. To do what is right and honorable even when no on is looking and no one will know. You have to teach them to not be out for themselves and everyone else be damned, but you can't legislate that. This man sucks, but lying - illegal; I don't know.

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 10:35 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Isn't the reason for this action a matter of fraud?
    Not lying per se, but lying to gain a position = power = money, and lying to deprive someone else of that same position?
    That's fraud. And it's illegal.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 10:41 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• If the guy was just lying in the process of making a general statement then he IS a liar but has broken no laws. His peers should deal with him in whatever way they see fit. (legally anyway) If he were making those false statements for some kind of gain, say a job then he should be not get the job or be fired should his employer find out just as anyone else who lied in that instance. The only way it should be illegal is if that person was using the lie to further a military career or somehow make some kind of gain in that career. I consider that fraud and that is illegal but in general it's just not illegal to lie.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 11:28 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• The judge, as I understood it, said that he lied to make himself seem more than he was. He didn't use the lie to commit fraud. He was applying for a job. It is the "lie" that is in question - I think. They use the "Stolen Valor" law, which is lying. I think they would have to show the CMH got him a job that another was equally qualified for to show fraud. Either way it is wrong. I just worry about the legislating the morality of lying. I think, I have stated everything correctly in this post. But what if something is, in fact, a lie? Do I get arrested?
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 11:29 AM on Aug. 22, 2010