How do I decide which custody schedule is best for my child?

I am recently divorced and have a 3 year old little girl. In the parenting plan we agreed to 2 nights a week and everyother weekend starting on a Friday night. My ex is now wanting to change this schedule. It has been our schedule since April. My daughter has adjusted. I am not sure if he is wanting this change because of his girlfriend or in the best interest of our child. He wants to do Sun,Mon,Tues with him, Wed,Thur,Fri with me and alternate Saturdays. It may sound nice except that I have a feeling he is doing it because he wants more free time with his live-in girlfriend and she doesn't have her child on Wed-Sun. Please help. I am not sure what to do.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:12 PM on Oct. 8, 2008 in General Parenting

• In my opinion, since he doesn't sound like the most credible person, I'd stick with whichever plan she's sees him less with.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 5:20 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• Sounds to me like he is wanting more time with his kids....and it gives you more free time. However, it does seem like a short amount of time to be changing things...if its court ordered, take it to court.
    isaboo22

Answer by isaboo22 at 5:53 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• wtf? To the first poster, what makes him NOT credible?? And to the OP, 50-50 schedules are what kids almost unanimously say they prefer when asked about custody. Kids with 50-50 schedules like the one your ex suggested usually do better in school and have less incidence of teen pregnancy, teenaged arrest records, etc.

Do a little research. I'm sure that at 3 yrs old your daughter will get used to this somewhat different schedule.

Even if HE'S not thinking about your daughter's welfare, you can. And these types of schedules are great for kids if the parents live close enough to do them.
    Avarah

Answer by Avarah at 8:42 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• My step dd, has 4 children and they do that "shared parenting 50/50". IMO it doesn't seem to be working very well for the parents or the children. The children are always shuffled back and forth, and it is either they are at daddy's house or mommy's house....not their house. They don't have a home. I know people say they have two homes, but I'm not sure I agree with this new trend...but maybe I'm showing my age!! LOL
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 2:09 AM on Oct. 11, 2008