In the Army, why do smokers get smoke breaks and not non-smokers?

If you smoked you'd get a break to feed your habit, but the non-smokers would only get a break if they pretended to be smokers by standing there holding a lit ciggy for their buddy. That doesn't sound right to me. How about you?

Zoeyis

Asked by Zoeyis at 10:35 AM on Aug. 22, 2010 in Money & Work

• what Mythic said. Its not just the army and I'm not sure why the smokers get breaks, I always found it annoying.
    Tes...Jacksmami

Answer by Tes...Jacksmami at 10:44 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• It's the same way almost everywhere. Thankfully at my current job (& last job) they offered 10 minute "smoke breaks" to non-smoking employees, I feel regardless if one gets it the other should as well. No special breaks!
    jjk45xox

Answer by jjk45xox at 10:49 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Ugh, that doesn't just happen in the army, I dealt with this at many of the jobs I worked too.
    MythicMMM

Answer by MythicMMM at 10:41 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• My mothers work is like that.....all of her co workers smoke and they just get up from their desks...hop outside and smoke....she has to BEG to get a pee break! WRONG!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 10:53 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• My husband was in the army for 8 years and we have never had of that. Yes, some of the guys would smoke during the down time while they were in garrison but none of the smokers got a special break or anything like that.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:37 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• I think it's wrong to accommodate people who CHOOSE to smoke, especially when it cuts into their productivity and performance on the job!! EVERY single smoking co-worker I ever knew, ended up producing poor quality work, would stay late ot finish their work, was always stressed meeting deadlines, and generally lackadaisical in their work ethic--oh and they ALWAYS managed to take every minute of their lunch break, multiple bathroom breaks, and extended chats around the "water cooler."

It's no wonder it breed animosity among co-workers....and to top it all off, who wants to sit next to someone who smells like an ash tray?! Yuck!

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 11:17 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• My husband has been in for 3 years and I don't think that is the case.. everyone is released at the same time as far as I know. if you smoke.. go burn one. If you don't.. go grab a drink or something.
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 10:48 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Um... not just the Army...You just described my job...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:20 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• thats good. My unit was totally like that and it never seemed fair.
    Zoeyis

Comment by Zoeyis (original poster) at 10:37 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• I think they should have to quit smoking to get in.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 11:16 AM on Aug. 22, 2010