a Catholic adoption agency has lost fight to deny gay couples from adopting from them, thoughts?

A Roman Catholic adoption agency has lost its fight for the right to continue its policy of refusing to place children with same-sex couples based on religious principles.

The agency, Catholic Care, saw its battle to limit its adoption services to heterosexual-only parents collapse in a ruling Thursday (August 19) by the powerful Charity Commission, an independent watchdog in England, although funded by the British government.

After a lengthy legal wrangle, the Charity Commission decreed that Charity Care's stance amounted to discrimination based on sexual orientation because it "departs from the principle of treating people equally."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/08/22/catholic-adoption-agency-_n_689711.html

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 10:45 AM on Aug. 22, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• good. there's no justification for such discrimination.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 7:41 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• I dont like the idea of religious institutions being FORCED to do something against their religious beliefs.

Gay couples can use other agencies!!!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 10:52 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• This concerns me. While I am a hundred percent behind gay adoption, I don't like the idea of religious agencies being forced to do things that they don't agree with.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:49 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• It's a Catholic adoption agency. These potential parents should have known that homosexuality is against the Catholic religion. I'm not saying that these people won't make good parents, but DUH on going to a Catholic adoption agency. Gay or lesbian and want a kid? Go to a different agency.
    leomommy1325

Answer by leomommy1325 at 10:53 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• I agree with lovinangels!! I am all for adoptions by ANYONE who can provide a loving and stable home, but when an adoption agency that adheres to set religious principles, is forced to change their said policies, in order to accommodate those who don't adhere to such beliefs, I think it's wrong!!

Are there no other agencies this gay couple could have sought to adopt a child?! Or are they purposely making waves?

It's just like the gay marriage issue here in the US! Get married if you want, but don't force a traditional House of Worship to support a practice they do not agree with in order to accommodate you. There are plenty of alternative places to say your vows!!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 10:57 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• And THIS is what people are concerned about happening when it comes to gay marriage. That the churches will be forced to perform the ceremonies even if they don't agree. There are other places to go. Catholic charities do so much to help so many...but by all means lets put them out of business because they dont agree with THIS cause.....

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 11:18 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• The tricky situation that everyone is overlooking is that this charity receives government funding and must go through government appeals in order to pass the adoptions. Had the Charity been working entirely on it's own with the church I can see it as being an unjust ruling. Since it had opted to team up with the British government it becomes a more difficult matter as it is no longer associated strictly with the church.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:55 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• I'm all for adoption. And I think not allowing a gay couple to adopt is ridiculous BUT that said... I feel VERY uncomfortable with FORCING a religious group/agency etc. to go against their beliefs... they are a CATHOLIC agency and those who decide to use them are prob. looking for a adoptive parents with similar beliefs etc...
    Why can't gay couples go to another agency?
    I don't agree with the decision. A person's rights stop where another persons begins. People have the right to follow their lifestyle HOWEVER they do NOT have the right to make someone else agree or follow their way
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 11:10 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• i think thats crazy why shouldnt gay people be able to have kids .just because they are same sex couples dont mean they cant be good parents .
    britme1027

Answer by britme1027 at 10:46 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Another injustice. I consider adoption facilitators to be businesses. Church or not. The courts have no business intervening. They should be able to adopt children out to whomever they please. If you are gay and want to adopt you can go elsewhere.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 11:13 AM on Aug. 22, 2010