Catholic adoption agency loses fight to deny gay couple the right to adopt from them, agree?

London-A Roman Catholic adoption agency has lost its fight for the right to continue its policy of refusing to place children with same-sex couples based on religious principles.

The agency, Catholic Care, saw its battle to limit its adoption services to heterosexual-only parents collapse in a ruling Thursday (August 19) by the powerful Charity Commission, an independent watchdog in England, although funded by the British government.

After a lengthy legal wrangle, the Charity Commission decreed that Charity Care's stance amounted to discrimination based on sexual orientation because it "departs from the principle of treating people equally."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/08/22/catholic-adoption-agency-_n_689711.html

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 10:51 AM on Aug. 22, 2010 in Religious Debate

• I don't know religious freedom laws or the stance on Religion & government in London, so I can't comment on that part of it. But if it were here in the US, I would absolutely support the ruling. Adoption is a LEGAL agreement, they have to go through a legal process and sign legal paperwork, it's not a religious ceremony or church ruled activity - therefore, their religious beliefs about those who are wishing to adopt shouldn't have any bearing on the ultimate outcome.

If churches and religious organizations insist on becoming involved on secular issues they have to be willing to put their beliefs on the back burner in the best interest of everyone involved...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:03 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Depends...if they were ONLY adopting children out to Catholic couples, then that's one thing...they can claim "religious principals". But if they were willing to adopt children out to couples of ANY religion (or lack thereof) then that's a different ball of wax.
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 11:00 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Good!  There is no separation of church and state in the UK nor is Catholicism a state religion so they don't really have a leg to stand on.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 12:03 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• I personally believe that the point of Christian charity is to do what is best for others, and when there are children who need loving homes its rather selfish and arrogant to refuse that (when that is the whole point of the adoption agencies - finding loving homes for these children) just because they don't agree with something in the parent's lives. We all have things others wouldn't agree with, and I would hate to be denied for an adoption just because I'm not a fundamentalist Christian or any other reason someone can come up with. I understand the issue of "forcing" religious institutions to go against their convictions, but I think they need to take a step back and look at their priorities. Is it more important to them that these children find loving families, or is it more important that they make their stand on homosexuality? When there are so many children in need of a home, it doesn't make sense to refuse for THAT....
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 12:21 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• They should have the right to adopt or not adopt to whoever they please, as a private company not running on government funds. No matter what anyone thinks of their decision, it's THEIR decision, not the courts and not the govts.
    soflashelley

Answer by soflashelley at 3:07 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• You are so caught up in your rights you forget about the rights of the birth parents. yes they do have some rights. The right ot place their child where they want. they pick a catholic adoption agency because of where the child will be placed. Is there a chance that a some point the adoptive parents will fall from what they believe yes. A much smaller chance that child will not be brought up the way the birth parents wan,t then placeing the child in a home where the morals and knowing right from wrong are not taught from the beginning. Before you chatise me about the "morals " of gay couples right from the start their core morals are corrupt. This is not the beginning of the end of our world and our society, that is falling into coruption. It is the end.
    oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 5:15 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• I read this on yahoo.co.uk news. I thought it was very fair, although it kind of sucks that they may lose their funding from the church.
    Mom2unangel

Answer by Mom2unangel at 11:00 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Great, another victory, they just keep piling up to end in equality.

Answer by older at 3:15 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• oldermomof5 Once a parent gives up rights to a child they have no rights. If the child is up for adoption the parents gave up their rights,.

Shane I knew many kids raised with same sex parents they were very well rounded and had no problems. I got teased more then any one about my parents and I had one of each sex, So you just proved your an idiot. Not to mention there have been studies that show children raised in same sex homes, don't have any of the issues you are concerned with.

OP I think this is awesome, for the kids. They need parents who will love and care for them regardless of the parents sex.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 8:42 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• This is really very sad. With more states in the US permitting same-sex "marriage" we will soon be facing the same issues (if not already). Catholic, and other Christian, adoption agencies will have to close

Wow can we say paranoid much cause you is.

Can you please tell me where you found this information? I can't find it in the article.

It's common fucking sense,. They work hand in hand with social services who also provide them funding. Look it up for petes sakes.

Oh and sweet pointed it out. LOL!
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 12:16 AM on Aug. 23, 2010