Did your Mother make you eat all your dinner before getting up fr the table?

My Mother did. I use to hate peas, and brussel sprouts. I'd try and hide them some how if I could in my mouth and go out and play and spit them out. I hate them to this day, I have never cooked brussel sprouts my entire marriage.

MyAngel003

Asked by MyAngel003 at 10:58 AM on Aug. 22, 2010 in Food & Drink

• No and I don't do it to my children. Two reasons, one, I wouldn't want to be forced to eat something I couldn't stand. Secondly, I saw an interview with a morbidly obese woman (and to make a long story short) she said most of her weight problems began as a child because she was forced to finish her plate, full or not. And that stuck with her as an adult. If there was food on a plate, she had to eat it.
    dmdblleb

Answer by dmdblleb at 11:35 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Yes she did. That's why I don't make veggies my daughter doesn't like.
    Cassandre

Answer by Cassandre at 11:01 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Yes, my mother (mostly my father) would not let us up from the table until our plates were cleaned of food. Almost every day, we would hear,"eat all your food there are poor peple that have nothing to eat" or "you can't waste food, it's a precious thing to eat; there are people that are starving all over the world". One time I said that maybe the poor people can come over here and eat this stuff if they are so hungry and starving. I got smacked upside the head.
    Gitanarosita

Answer by Gitanarosita at 11:08 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• ya, lets just say i hid alot of spinach in my napkin, shoved in my pocket and tossed it in the toilet when I was a kid. Whoever thought canning spinach was a good idea....ew
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 11:16 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• No, never. When we were full we stopped eating. Making a child clean their plates is one reason some kids develop eating disorders and obesity. I also don't make my son or any child eat all their food.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:34 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• No. Her mother used to do it to her and she swore she would never do it to any of her kids and she never did. My older brother sure did try though, LOL. And I don't do it to mine, however I do try to encourage him to eat before he gets down.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 12:03 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• My mother did, and I have struggled with my weight my entire life.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:19 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• no. But I make my DD eat at least 3 bites of each thing on her plate, especially if it is something she has never tried before.
    stressedmomma13

Answer by stressedmomma13 at 2:30 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• My mom didn't push it, but my dad did. He would make us eat things he knew we hated.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 5:25 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• My first stepfather did..... & normally I did okay. until it came time for the Spilt Pea Soup. ( I still gag at the thought of that junk...) My step father would make us sit there until bedtime, & if we didn't eat it, we'd have to have it again & again until we ate it.
    lilmoosesmom

Answer by lilmoosesmom at 11:00 AM on Aug. 22, 2010