How can I get my teen to respect?

How do I get my 17 year old to stop disrespecting his family?

lbjd457

Asked by lbjd457 at 10:59 AM on Aug. 22, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Chores, no cell phone, no privelages, reduce his world to just a bed and clothing. Make him earn it back.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:02 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• i don't think that making him hate her is going to help. that really is bad advice
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:22 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• after many many years of counseling I have finally figured out that they will respect us when they are parents themselves, but in the meantime , taking away privileges is what you do and they can earn it back by good behavior.
    luvschocolate

Answer by luvschocolate at 11:56 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Do you respect him?  If you don't, then that would be a good place to start.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 7:14 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Sign em up for Basic Training. You can always have them quit before the training is officially over. They are tied to the military until they get thru the training first. Sure whips em into shape, tho.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 9:36 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• There is a lot of truth in beeky's few words. I have been told by my 17 yo dd that it is easier for her to respect people who respect her. And in ways that means us as her parents, too. It is a circle in our house, if you respect us and our rules than you get the respect you want. Don't and it is not a happy place to live! A lot of conversation about what we expect and what she wants has helped us. Some times I;m not right, and that is hard to say.
    wallmom1

Answer by wallmom1 at 11:52 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• You have to teach respect and it starts early, respect isn't something you just know to do or how its done or what it means. Children respect those that respect them, I don't believe that respect is an obiligation. Do you respect your child? Do you really listen when they speak? Do you try to understand their thoughts, their feelings? Openness and honesty will help your child to feel that you really care. If its disrespect of another sibling or another member of your family - the above are still things to think about...how do they treat your child.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 12:12 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Sounds like its too late @ 17. you gonna need a miracle. I started with my dd @ 7months ole.gl
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 8:31 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• wow i think its going to take a lot go for taking allt he privilages away no video gamesc ell phone or something maybe you can take his money away
    Alejandra10

Answer by Alejandra10 at 11:38 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• This is a hard one. I am fond of the taking away of "stuff" theory. But... it does create alot of discord for awhile. Nothing makes a teen more angry than having their cell phone or computer taken away. I get alot of door slamming and attitude at first. Eventually, they start to realize that there really is only one game, and that it has to be played by YOUR rules. It takes alot of guts and willpower not to give in. I hate confrontation, but sometimes... we just gotta be tough in order to mold them into responsible adults.
    veggiemom726

Answer by veggiemom726 at 11:50 PM on Aug. 25, 2010