Twin Bed vs Bunk beds

I am looking into buying a new bed for my 3 1/2 year old son. He has outgrown his toddler bed. I have a daughter as well that is 2 1/2 and they share a bedroom. Is 3 1/2 to young to be getting bunk beds for? I am going back and forth between bunk beds or just a twin bed. Any thoughts?

Kaylarf

Asked by Kaylarf at 10:59 AM on Aug. 22, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I would go with bunkbeds that you can take apair &make just twin beds out of them, That way you have the best of both words.
    lilmoosesmom

Answer by lilmoosesmom at 11:01 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• I've been wondering the same thing since my oldest will be around 3 1/2 next year when we plan to kick our LO out of our bed (at the rate she is growing, it might be sooner). My only worry is that it might make it harder for him to get out of bed at night to use the bathroom.
    MythicMMM

Answer by MythicMMM at 11:07 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• My sis and I had bunk beds that could be taken apart and used as single beds or put together as bunk beds. She didn't put them together as bunk bed until we were about 4 and 5.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 11:17 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• I would do the twin bed
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 11:19 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• I say buy bunks that can be seperated - they're not any more expensive and just as sturdy - they can be safer now and when they're older you can stack the beds to save room in their room. We have 2 sets of bunks like that and they are soooooo nice!
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 11:59 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• I bought some nice bunk beds at Walmart for less than $200. They can be taken apart to make two separate twin beds. I have only just recently let my 4 year old sleep on the top bunk. Some of that is because he still gets up in the middle of the night and I don't want him falling off the top bunk. If your 3 year old is comfortable on the top bunk and doesn't get up in the middle of the night it is fine to let your son sleep on the top.
    kerijeanbean

Answer by kerijeanbean at 12:01 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Thats how i am rite now! My 4 yr old has outgrown his bed and my 2 yr old is almost there we are going to get him a twin bed but we foung twin bunk beds for 189$ at walmart, you dont have to stack them or you could. Mine dont share a room but this way he can get use to his bed and she can still have hers and they say that kids shouldnt sleep on the top bunk til htey are 6 at least...
    just a thought to think about.
    pebbles425

Answer by pebbles425 at 12:15 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• get bunk beds that seperate into 2 twin beds, then you have bought a bed for each child plus they can be stacked later when they are older. Kmart has some that are actually wood for a regular price of $199 that separate into matching beds.
    mrspierce06

Answer by mrspierce06 at 12:40 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Bunk beds that can be twin beds are the best bet, then when they can climb out of bed safely in the middle of the night to pee then make them into bunk beds. Wood ones are nice and they are sturdy
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 12:57 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• I slept on a bunk bed when I was little. I cannot tell you how many times my foot sliped on the ladder & I fell hard. Twin beds are always the way to go, I would never have bunk beds especially with boys. It is also easier if they get sick so you can check on them when they sleep. Otherwise you have to climb up too.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:07 PM on Aug. 22, 2010