Guardian ad Litem thinks that it is best for a four year old autistic boy to be in daycare instead of being at home with daddy!

M-Thurs he is at daycare all day long for daycare and his preschool is there. When he is with mommy every other Friday he is also in daycare all day with no education component.

On the Fridays that we have him my SO does not have to work so we take his son out to do things. We go swimming every day we have him, we take him bowling (his favorite hobby), we like to just take him out and have a Daddy, Carrie, and, Elijah day. Often times we go away for the entire weekend and stay in hotels to do something special. OMG, He really loves that!

Well his son's guardian an litem believes that he should be in daycare on the friday's that we have him for consistency because he is autistic.

Well his son loves the days with us and actually does better with us developmentally than at school/daycare or with his mommy.

Why would you want a kid at daycare instead of with a parent?

girlneffy

Asked by girlneffy at 5:21 PM on Oct. 8, 2008 in General Parenting

• I forgot to add that we do have him 50% of the time and when he has school he is at the daycare for the education portion only.
    girlneffy

Answer by girlneffy at 5:22 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• i think that he needs both family and school the fridays you have him is fine i would ignore the person thats making a big deal out of this he does need his education but he needs his family too he needs that support! but theres nothing wrong with what your doing
    4lyfe56

Answer by 4lyfe56 at 5:38 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• I am the mother of a child with autism. I think our biggest problem with our son is he is so set on routine and hates schedule changes. Personally, I think your various outings (which I would switch those up too) are good for him. My DS has to travel the same roads daily, if we detour (sometimes we're going a different place others the roads are closed) it's meltdown time for him. If you can appeal this decision I would. Perhaps get one of his therapists to write a letter explaining that although our children love routine it's good for them to have change. GL
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 5:51 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• If you're doing it every friday, it IS a routine, isn't it? I fail to see how they think changing his current routine will help anything.
    catwalksymphony

Answer by catwalksymphony at 7:22 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• That's stupid. Why don't y'all offer to take him on HER Fridays too, since they're so concerned about him remaining on schedule.
    Avarah

Answer by Avarah at 8:38 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• i run a daycare and i dont believe its healthy for a child to always be in care if they can be with there parent some of that time. yes he is autistic but you said he has no problem when you guys do things instead of him going to daycare. hes 4 yrs old and he needs "play" time also. I see a lot of children that have mental or physical disabilities being pushed into these programs because they think they are better for them. thats not always the case. this child enjoys that time with you guys so i would keep it up. he can learn more from being around you then being in the same setting 5 days a week.
    marykaysauer

Answer by marykaysauer at 12:07 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

• Sounds like to me mom is ticked cause you guys are having fun with the child and she's jealous. She's probably the one pushing the issue. I'd fight to spend time with my son if I were the dad. I swear these freakin' mom's gripe when you don't spend enough time with the kids, (you're "not involved") and they gripe when you do spend time with them and actually have fun cause then they are jealous. It's no wonder ex's don't get along.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:09 AM on Oct. 9, 2008