Have you heard about the idea from Carl Paladino?

NEW YORK — Republican candidate for governor Carl Paladino said he would transform some New York prisons into dormitories for welfare recipients, where they could work in state-sponsored jobs, get employment training and take lessons in "personal hygiene."

Paladino, a wealthy Buffalo real estate developer popular with many tea party activists, isn't saying the state should jail poor people: The program would be voluntary.

Paladino, a wealthy Buffalo real estate developer popular with many tea party activists, is competing for the Republican nomination with former U.S. Rep. Rick Lazio. The primary is Sept. 14.

Paladino first described the idea in June at a meeting of The Journal News of White Plains and spoke about it again this week with The Associated Press.

http://www.telegram.com/article/20100822/NEWS/8220373/1052/RSS01&source=rss

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 11:25 AM on Aug. 22, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Who was it that said the starving Irish should eat thier babies?

They wouldn't be hungry anymore and they wouldn't have so many mouths to feed.

Screw the concentration camps. Let's just soilent green them.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 7:17 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• I think many a homeless person would be happy to have a bed and 3 meals a day and a small salary in return for a bit of work. I have no problem at all with it, especially if it is voluntary. They get training, they get food and they get their self esteem back.
    Of course I'm sure the left will portray it as putting the homeless in Jail. I hope the guy can make his real thoughts clear. But then this is in NY.........
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 11:33 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• I haven't heard of it, but I don't see what's wrong with it as long as it's voluntary. It may be beneficial to some, and honestly, while they're receiving money from the government, if they're not working, what's wrong with earning some of it? Regardless of this scenario, working for the government in exchange for your welfare check is 100% fair in my opinion, and a great idea.

As for personal hygiene, I think that's kind of insulting. Just because someone is poor doesn't meant they're dirty! Nor are they always from dysfunctional homes. That's a pretty insulting stereotype.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 11:34 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• I think many a homeless person would be happy to have a bed and 3 meals a day and a small salary in return for a bit of work. I have no problem at all with it, especially if it is voluntary. They get training, they get food and they get their self esteem back. Of course I'm sure the left will portray it as putting the homeless in Jail. I hope the guy can make his real thoughts clear. But then this is in NY......... Answer by itsmesteph11

________________

^^THIS!!^^

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 12:16 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Not all people recieveing services came from dysfunctional homes or were poor just having hard times now.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 11:35 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• I think that having people work jobs that the government provides for their check is not necessarily a bad idea, but the idea presented above with prison housing and ridiculous sweeping generalizations about poverty is poorly thought out and stupid.
    emilex

Answer by emilex at 11:38 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Well, I do hold a masters in Bathing and I minored in Dental Flossing, so can I work there as soon as I finish my classes in Brushing? :)
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 12:02 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• People FREAKED about the PEACE CORPS / "re-education camps" .......and THIS is ok? I'm sorry, this is total bullshit. Criminalizing the Poor"

It's not criminalizing them. Just because it would be located in a government building that isn't being used doesn't mean they're criminalizing them. HOW is it criminalizing them? Criminals do not have choices on where to go. If it were in a new, shiny building, would that suddenly make a difference?

And as for the hygiene, I already said that was an ignorant thing to include because just because someone doesn't have money doesn't mean they're dirty.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 12:18 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Voluntary as in were going to cut off your welfare unless you do X Y Z ...."

Can you please copy and paste where it says that you'd be cut off from your welfare if you didn't participate? I honestly don't see it, and if it's in there, then I disagree with the entire idea.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 12:26 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• It isn't in anything right now..this is just an idea. My sister works for a family homeless shelter...its a govenrment run program. WHile there you have to do certain things to stay there and caetain things to get houing help, moving help etc....(which I have no issue with) ..If tHIS were to become a GOVERNMENT there would be things they HAD to do...if He deems HIS way the BEST way starting with his state.....it WOULD BECOME that,. that is how the government works.
    "

Ok, so it's just an idea. That's what I thought. I see no problem with there being steps required IF you want to participate in the help this program would provide. Regardless, if it's voluntary, participants would most likely be able to leave at any time. There's no way he's be able to legally keep them there.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 12:33 PM on Aug. 22, 2010