How do u get ur step kids not to lie???

Lately the boys have been caught telling lies and trying to get each other in trouble by telling lies.. i guess im just wondering how do i stop this me and my SO have talked to them and they understand a lie and the truth..but they keep lying how do we fix this??

tber22

Asked by tber22 at 12:10 PM on Aug. 22, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Give them consequences for lying. My DD went through a phase like that, and when I caught her in a lie I took away privileges ( her DS, tv, or iPod for a week). It took a little while, but she always tells the truth now. My friend made her DD write a 500 word essay about why lying was wring every time she caught her lying. That worked for her.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 12:49 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• thank u ..
    tber22

Comment by tber22 (original poster) at 1:01 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• I did this once with my daughter...

DH and I chose an activity she loves, (it was going to the kids spa), and for about a week we made a big deal about going there, said she was going tuesday after school, really fussed about it. Tuesday came, she got home from school, and we didn't mention it. When she finally asked about it, I said very quietly, " I lied."
    After dinner we had a discussion about how bad it feels to be lied to.
    She hasn't lied since.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:58 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Treat them like your own. Same rules for the entire household...step children or not.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 2:11 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• I don't know how old your step-kids are, but if they are under about age 8-9 then they are probably not being as devious as it seems they are when t hey lie. Young children often make up things to go the way they want them to and then tell the story as if it is true. For instance, if you ask a 5 year old - Did you make this mess after I told you not to get any more toys out? She may say - No, Mommy, I didn't, my brother did. She says this because she fervently wishes that she had not gotten the toys out because she doesn't want to disappoint you, more so than to get her brother in trouble. If you say to her - I think you wish you hadn't disobeyed me, but I think we both know that you did. Now, what do you think we should do about it? I think you will find that she feels remorseful enough to think of her own punishment at that point.
    cleanaturalady

Answer by cleanaturalady at 10:56 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• my step kids are 6 they are going into first grade..i understand that kids say things because they think they are going to get into trouble. I mean i was a kid at one time too..and i also had a step parent so i know how that works..but what i dont understand is that for example the othe day the boys were eating breakfast and one of them spilled his milk and instead of going and getting a towel he takes his tshirt and wipes it up with that.(the one he is wearing). So i asked him how his shirt got wet and he said he spilled his milk on him. but i sat there and watched him wipe it up with his shirt. So i dont know its things like that. i dont know how to fix..
    tber22

Comment by tber22 (original poster) at 2:17 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• have consequences maybe
    san78

Answer by san78 at 9:20 AM on Aug. 24, 2010