Have you tried any of these cold water detergents?

I'm having trouble understanding how something that usually needs hot water to wash like white socks, etc. can after all these years be washed in cold water and still come out super clean. Love to know what results you had with this new detergent.

CafeMochaMom1

Asked by CafeMochaMom1 at 12:12 PM on Aug. 22, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Puh-lease! The last time I was at the store to buy detergent, there were like 1,000 different kinds ... some for hot water, some for cold, some for front-loading washers, some with Febreze, some with built-in fabric softener, and on and on and on - marketing at it's best! Unless the clothes you're washing are caked with mud and dirt and grease and industrial waste and everything else under the sun, any detergent will do (I use the cheapest I can find) and you can wash everything in cold water ... I even wash my son's muddy and sweaty and stained football uniform in cold water with 1/2 the recommended amount of detergent with no problems.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 9:01 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I make my own detergent too and have stopped using hot water unless I've got some especially dirty towels I've used to clean up a mess or something like that. My laundry is just as clean using cold water. When the cold water detergent first came out, I saw a report on t.v., one of those consumer reports on the news, that said no one really needs cold water detergent to wash in cold water. It has no special qualities. I figured the cold water detergent was just a gimmick at that point.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 12:27 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• I make my own laundry detergent. Detergent is not what cleans your clothes... agitation is. Detergent just helps remove odors and tough stains. The temperature settings have more to do with what the clothing is made from, being cotton or synthetic... I wash all my clothes in cold water and I have sparkly clean clothes...
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 12:16 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• No idea, I make my own laundry detergent and I have never used hot water to wash my clothes (we have electric hot water heater and cannot afford an expensive electric bill on top of the water bill)... they're still clean. Even when I used store bought detergent I always washed in cold water and never had a problem.
    momof3inTN

Answer by momof3inTN at 12:17 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• I only use cold water unless it is really nasty stuff. lol. I use 'regular' detergent with no issue. I don't understand what they do special to the detergent to make it work 'better' in cold water. ???
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:44 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• I've washed with cold water for years.  It is just as efficient and a lot cheaper.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 1:12 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• I have only used cold water for laundry. I use Ecos by Earth Friendly; a big bottle at Costco costs around $12 and lasts about three months (I use half the recommended amount, with an equal amount of white vinegar

Answer by rkoloms at 12:29 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• I only use Cold Water for laundry as well unless I have something that is really soiled/stained. It saves money and hot water. I use purex free and clear and add some borax when I have a load that needs extra cleaning. My clothes come out squeaky clean.
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 12:31 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• I use regular Tide, and wash just about everything in cold water. My clothes are always clean and smell good. (If the kids don't put up the towels after they use them they get musty, so I wash those in hot when I have to.)
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 12:45 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• I use the Ecosense line of cleaning products - only wash in cold and no bleach - I have 3 very active (and dirty) kids :) their clothes - including their whites look great - and their clothes don't wear out as fast - also a lot less expensive than store and national brands. You can take a look at the products at www.SaferForYourHome.com.
    Dew1

Answer by Dew1 at 8:20 PM on Aug. 22, 2010