the egg recall and industrialized agriculture

So eggs that were distributed to EIGHT STATES and sold under THIRTEEN DIFFERENT BRANDS have been recalled. Anyone else bothered by the fact that one farm makes eggs for such a wide market? How far do your eggs travel to your plate? Do you have any idea? Do you think our food should come from so far away?

FelipesMom

Asked by FelipesMom at 12:32 PM on Aug. 22, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I agree with what you are saying regarding industrialized agriculture. Too few family farms, and too big a farm "industry" can't bode well for Americans concerned with not only the quality of their food, but also economic balance and environmental concerns. People need to pay more attention to where their food is grown, by whom, and the distance it travelled to reach their stores. They also need to think more about the impact buying locally grown food can make on their local economies. It might take some research, but the information is out there, and far more important than the general public realizes.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 5:48 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• This is why I buy eggs from a nearby family farm. Now and then i can't get to the Farmer's Market, so I have to buy commercial eggs. Luckily, I haven't had to do that lately because I live in one of the states in which the eggs were recalled.
    cleanaturalady

Answer by cleanaturalady at 2:00 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• I don't eat eggs, this is one of the many reasons I became vegetarian mostly vegan.
    blessedwithree

Answer by blessedwithree at 12:49 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• i think it sucks about the egg recall but i am thankful that they have stepped forward telling everyone what to look for. i think that this one reason for people to NOT shop local, you NEVER know what you get at a farmer's market and they don't check their eggs like these big distributors do. you can get it from anywhere i suppose though, it's all in chance.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 12:54 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Wow, I'm out of the loop lol....this is the first I've heard about it, we don't have cable. Thanks for posting this question, now I will try to find some info. about it.
    kksmomma1019

Answer by kksmomma1019 at 12:59 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• i heard about it on the news and online but i have not done much research on it. does anyone remember which states were listed? and is it only local eggs from the farmers markets or is it eggs that you get at grocery stores too?
    tayseansmom7505

Answer by tayseansmom7505 at 1:02 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• My eggs come from a city near that one - only a couple hours away. If I really really wanted to I could get my eggs from the next town over. Thankfully my eggs brand isn't affected by the recall.
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 1:08 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• It is NOT a problem with local farms - quite the opposite!!! It was one farm that distributed to eight states and thirteen brands. The OPPOSITE of a local farm!!!
    FelipesMom

Comment by FelipesMom (original poster) at 2:09 PM on Aug. 22, 2010