why does everyone i know always have dinner in front of a tv?

never a real family dinner ? i just find that odd .... ive never had dinner in front of a tv but yet everyone i know does ... does anyone eelse see that alot ? and im not saying everyone does it im saying everyone I know ...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:31 PM on Oct. 8, 2008 in General Parenting

• I know a lot of people that eat dinner in front of the t.v. and I never understood it. In our house dinner time is family time, the t.v. gets shut off and we have dinner at the table.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 5:48 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• thats what we do and will always do i just never got the whole sit in fron tof tv thing .. i personally hate tv tho its so boring
    Anonymous

• For my family it depends on the day. The majority of the time, I turn off the TV and we eat at the table together. But my hubby works swings right now, and sometimes I can just tell he's exhausted and wants to relax, so on those days, especially if we're having a soup or one dish meal for dinner, we'll snuggle up on the couch together and watch a movie.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 5:55 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• I am working on this in my family. Our daughter is only 6 months old, but I want us to start eating at the dinner table. I grew up doing that, but as we got older we stopped.
    mamasarias

Answer by mamasarias at 6:12 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• Sometimes, we watch TV and eat dinner. Sometimes, the TV is turned off. During football season, the TV is on!
    Ilovepie77

Answer by Ilovepie77 at 7:29 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• Because of our schedules, we spend too much time eating in front of the TV. But our one rule is that everybody eats dinner together, at a real table with real food, on Sundays. My son, who lives 50 miles away most of the time and has no care, is excused--unless he's in town.
    WD40

Answer by WD40 at 8:02 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• That is one thing that I don't let slide. We ALWAYS eat dinner together at the kitchen table...no tv. We always have since we had our first child and it is something that we always want to continue. I try to do breakfast and lunch at the table too but I don't always do it...sometimes we have a "picnic" when it's pretty outside or in the living room when it's raining. Dinner is always the same cause Daddy is home and we get to actually talk to each other and the kids get to tell him about their day.
    lorihadams

Answer by lorihadams at 9:39 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• We will occasionally have lunch in front of the TV, but we always make it a point to sit at the table together for dinner, with no TV, my kids, and all the kids that come around here (lol) really like dinner time at our house!
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 2:04 AM on Oct. 11, 2008