tubal or vasectomy

We are planning one more baby and after we have one more we are done. But I can't decide if I should get a tubal or should he get a vasectomy? I have had both my kids vaginal so this one will probably be vaginal by the way. Also how soon do they do a tubal? Do they do it while you are in the hospital after the baby is born?

mommy5409

Asked by mommy5409 at 12:40 PM on Aug. 22, 2010 in About CafeMom

• My husband had a vasectomy last year. It was so easy. He went I on a Friday morning, laid in bed all weekend and was good as new on Monday. He did not even need the pain meds prescribed to him.
    Courtney610

Answer by Courtney610 at 12:46 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• IF your hospital will do it (mine will not because they are a Catholic Hospital) they can do them right when you have a baby. If not, you can have them done within a few weeks or even years later. There is more risk with a tubal, and it can affect your cycle on a long term basis. Beyond that your "protection" weakens over time unless they go in and actually cut the tubes, which most do not. It's also more expensive if you are paying out of pocket or if your insurance doesn't cover it.

Your husbands procedure is fairly simple. It costs hundreds rather than thousands and has a recovery time of days rather than weeks. It is also more permanent because they are actually cutting the "tube" rather than just blocking it. However, it's less likely that the insurance will cover it. So check with them first.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:47 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• They frequently do the tubal while you are in the hospital, if requested. It depends on your doctor. I had mine a year later.
    mikesmom65270

Answer by mikesmom65270 at 12:41 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• I had mine a couple of months after I had her
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 12:45 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• DO THE VASECTOMY! it's so simple and it's an easy recovery. you'll be there to help him through it if he needs it, hopefully he will bounce right back. my ex had one and was more than fine in a week. a tubal is too invasive and his will take about 20 mins in a clinic.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 12:49 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• How many children have you had? They don't usually do one if he's only had one baby...
    smokisses

Answer by smokisses at 12:53 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Maybe you should look into other birth control options as well. I was going to get a tubal, but decided against it because of the risks. I am planning on getting Essure.. It is more effective than a tubal and a vasectomy.. and there is virtually no recovery time.. it is a quick procedure.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 1:03 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

I am 28 years old. He will be 30 in November. We have 2 girls 5 and 2.5 we are planning to have 1 more. We are going to start trying in September and then after having a 3rd we are done.
    mommy5409

Comment by mommy5409 (original poster) at 1:23 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Make him have the big snip! If you have gone through three pregnancies and labors for him....it's his turn! I dont mean to sound like that person, but even my husband agrees!
    Casumael

Answer by Casumael at 1:42 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• If you have a cesearan it's easier ti have a tubal done why they're already in there. If not have him get a vasectomy. I had the essure procedure done. It's permanant like a tubal but it's done in the doctor's office and there's no cutting. You do need to wait 3 months after and a follow-up before you stop using any othe birth control.
    Shell89

Answer by Shell89 at 2:31 PM on Aug. 22, 2010