Sister taking advantage of sick parents financially.... advise?

I'm posting Anon, for personal reasons.... My dad just had a massive heart attack and underwent quad bypasss.... my mom is and has been very sick for a long time..... they are broke financially. My daddy worked to supplement their income, but now he won't be able to for a long time. The have a guest house and my 32 yr old sister, her husband and 3 kids live in it.... the bills are attached to my parent's house. My sister is paying VERY minimal (last elect bill was 530 - sister paid 80 towards it). I, and two other sister are thinking of traveling there and kicking my sister out because she won't help my parents at all... she's just sponging. She won't work (no reason - just don't) and her husband is a job hopper.... what do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:33 PM on Oct. 8, 2008 in Relationships

• go kick her lazy ass out! i know thats blunt but its not right to live off your sick parents when there the ones who need the help the most its wrong and just plain mean! im sorry about your parents i know how hard it can be to have anyone as sick as that! my grandmother is sick and my mom and uncle and me help her all the time i have another aunt that just wants and wants from her and we told her to not come around unless shes going to help and we havent heard from her in 2 years! its sad how people can be!!
    4lyfe56

Answer by 4lyfe56 at 5:57 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• MORE INFO..... I send my parents $200 every month, another sister has agreed to make their car payment ($180) and a third sister sends them money to help with medicine.... we have a 4th sister who is just a pain in their neck, always running back and forth when her and her husband fight; it's sister #5 that lives there and is not helping them with the bills.... in fact she pays no rent (they've asked her to), she kicks in nothing for the water bill, and very little for electricity. She's already a drain on them... and now it's going to get worse.
    Anonymous

• Get your parents,if they will, to give youpower of attorney or something.It may help.
    Kat122

Answer by Kat122 at 5:46 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• I just want to let you know that you need to do this legally. Make sure that they have 30 days eviction notice, or they can call the police and stall it for months pending a court date.
    catwalksymphony

Answer by catwalksymphony at 7:17 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• If your parents are too sick to do it themselves, go to them and ask them to give you power of attorney so that you are better able to help them. Then give the sponge and her husband a choice: Either pay their own way or find a new place to live. Serve them with a pay or quit notice, and if they don't pay, serve them with eviction papers.
    Also, look into the programs available to help with things like prescriptions and health care for your parents. Do they have insurance?
    If you get power of attorney, put any assets (like their house) into a trust, and make sure they have a will that stipulates what they want done with it...otherwise I suspect there will be a big battle when they pass.
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 9:06 PM on Oct. 8, 2008