grandparents...are driving me crazy...

my parents (who adopted me when I was a baby) do not seem to understand the whole baby thing at all...They planned a vacation 1,500 miles away 2 weeks after my due date...I have been trying to talk them into postponing it so they can be here if I need them and everyone I have spoken to has said they will probably really want to be here...and they don't seem to care. I don't know what to say to them to make them understand that I really would like their support. All they seem to come up with is "we don't know what to do...ask cory's mom (my boyfriend's mom) for help...she'll be there for you." Sometimes it's just nice to have your own parents backing you up...but no...mine are leaving me here in northern minnesota to go to disney world...thanks. -.-

sake1521

Asked by sake1521 at 12:43 PM on Aug. 22, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Maybe they feel that not actually giving birth to you they will not be able to relate to what you are going through, im sure if you talk to them and explain that you really need their support that they would postpone, and if not then u will manage on your own. Try not to stress about it for your babies sake. If they don't want to be involved then that's there problem
    Take care
    bumpx2

Answer by bumpx2 at 2:29 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Why would you need help? Learn all you need to know now and then be a mom to your newborn!
    smokisses

Answer by smokisses at 12:51 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Is this out of character for them?
    blessedwithree

Answer by blessedwithree at 12:54 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Honestly, I understand what you mean by wanting your parents there. However, as selfish as you see it for them leaving, it's selfish for you to ask them to postpone their trip. Just have friends and other family come over if you want support. Your parents seem deadset on what they want to do, so there's nothing that you're going to say to change their mind.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 1:02 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• BTW, my parents would do the same thing!
    smokisses

Answer by smokisses at 12:52 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• well it's not that I need their help...I'm pretty sure I can figure out what I'm doing between my boyfriend and I...I would just like them to be here for support...I feel like they don't really want to be around my kid or something...I just thought that they would want to be here for their first grandchild. I thought that was like a grandparent thing...
    sake1521

Comment by sake1521 (original poster) at 12:58 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Let them take their vacation and enjoy it. It's not like they're moving, they'll be back.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 1:08 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• I personally don't think I'm being that out of line asking them to stay. They go to disney world every year. It's not like it's something really really special for them.
    sake1521

Comment by sake1521 (original poster) at 1:19 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• and they planned their vacation AFTER they found out I was pregnant and when I was due. So they did this on purpose.
    sake1521

Comment by sake1521 (original poster) at 1:21 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• You will be ok. I understand wanting to have your family around, they will be back. Don't stress about it.
    PoisonousBlonde

Answer by PoisonousBlonde at 1:22 PM on Aug. 22, 2010