Roadside crosses/memorials are "unconstitutional"?!

"Memorial crosses erected along Utah public roads to honor fallen state highway troopers have been found unconstitutional by a federal appeals court.
A three-judge panel of the 10th Circuit U.S. Court of Appeals ruled Wednesday that the 14 large crosses would be viewed by most passing motorists as "government's endorsement of Christianity."

"We hold that these memorials have the impermissible effect of conveying to the reasonable observer the message that the state prefers or otherwise endorses a certain religion," concluded the Denver, Colorado-based court. The state of Utah and a private trooper association have the option of appealing to the U.S. Supreme Court.

A Texas-based group, American Atheists, successfully sued five years ago to have the nonprofit memorial project scrapped, and the crosses removed from public property".

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/08/18/utah.highway.crosses/index.html?npt=NP1

Give me a BREAK!

LovingSAHMommy

Asked by LovingSAHMommy at 12:51 PM on Aug. 22, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• They are put ther as a memmory, *&* a reminder of safe driving is the law *&* this is why, what can happen, when I see these spots& I rarely do, they instantly make my heart go out to the family , thats it, why do others have to bring such dis-respect to things THEY don't understand~
    Stefono

Answer by Stefono at 1:01 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• What's next, Arlington National Cemetery?!

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 1:12 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Omg you have be f*ing kidding me. Yeah seriously Lorikeet! I can't even believe that someone would sue over it for crying out loud! What's it to you if there's a cross on the side of the road? How the hell is that OFFENSIVE?! OMMMMMGGGGG. Those crosses are there to mark the place where someone lost their life as a memorial. I have 2 friends that were killed in car accidents and there is a cross at both sights. If someone ever said they had to be taken down, I don't know what I would do to that person. Why people just can't go living their lives ignoring others displays of religion that have NO effect on them, is beyond me. The people in this world are really shitheads.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 1:16 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• It would be nice if they were allowed to memorialize the troopers with a non-denominational marker at least. I guess I understand, there is supposed to be a separation of church and state, but I don't view this kind of thing as a state supporting a certain religion. I think it's ridiculous that a group from Texas would take up a case against Utah's memorials. Some people just have too much time on their hands I guess.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 12:59 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• If Atheists don't believe in God, why do they feel like they have to work so hard to get rid of him?
    3gifts.from.god

Answer by 3gifts.from.god at 1:27 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• sweet, isn't the Texas group of atheist suing to have the memorials to dead troops removed a form of "infringing on others religious rights" to show loss? Oh, it is only "infringing" if it is on any other religion, but Christians, now that is ok. If you don't like it, don't look. This isn't about being "offended" or "infringed upon". This is about pouty, whiny bullies who just look for something to complain about so they can say, "Look how powerful I am! I made them take down a memorial to a fallen trooper! Yeah Me!!! Now, who else can I bully?!!!!" And, they know right now, they can claim religious offense and get what they want. Or, they can claim religion freedom and get that too just as long as it isn't a Christian. Talk about persecution!

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 4:11 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• sweet says, The message that the state prefers or otherwise endorses a certain religion (and that is unconstitutional.

The constitution says, The congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the Free exercise therof.

What sweet or the judges said is quite different then what the Constitution says.

Natesmom507

Answer by Natesmom507 at 5:30 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Another example of "tolerance" from the far left.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 6:00 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Division of church and state yeah right. If that is true then why is the supreme court getting involved. People need to get a grip. Should the memorials for Princess Diana and such be removed? This cross help people to get through and remember. So the people with the problems should just back the hell up and let them do it. I am sure there is much more important things for them to worry about.

dragonlady44

Answer by dragonlady44 at 1:22 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• If you don't like them, don't look. But, don't force your narrow view on the majority of the people. I am really tired of all of this. It is getting worse and worse.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 3:01 PM on Aug. 22, 2010