When is baby acne worth taking to the DR?

My 7 month old has acne that comes and goes. It gets pretty bad sometimes. What needs to be seen by the DR?

MyPrideAndJoy18

Asked by MyPrideAndJoy18 at 12:55 PM on Aug. 22, 2010 in Kids' Health

• im curious on this too. my 21 month old daughters gets it too, maybe just one here and there but my son never got them. at least that i can remember
    tayseansmom7505

Answer by tayseansmom7505 at 1:04 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Is it on the face only? When you say comes and goes, is it rash like? If it's hot where you live it could be heat related like a heat rash. It could also be hormone fluctuations so I wouldn't be too worried. When's your next well child check scheduled with your doctor?
    babygoose78

Answer by babygoose78 at 1:04 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• It's moderate here, 80-90s, but in home A/C. Face and neck only. it's not so much rashy as it is patchy. His next visit is in 2 months, for his 9 month visit, which i can't een schedule until september because it's a new office and their scheduling isn't set up well yet.
    MyPrideAndJoy18

Comment by MyPrideAndJoy18 (original poster) at 1:09 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• I would just wait until the next regular doctor appointment to mention it. It could be the type of baby wash you are using, lotion (if you put any on her face), heat, area in which you live if there are a lot of free radicals like smog, etc. make-up on your face that gets rubbed onto her from kisses or what not, or it could just be her homones. Its worth mentioning but its not harmful to her in any way that I know of. Just purely cosmetic.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 1:09 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• im not as concerned as i am curious, i mean it doesn't bother him, and it SEEMS to be cosmetic only.
    MyPrideAndJoy18

Comment by MyPrideAndJoy18 (original poster) at 1:10 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• he* sorry
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 1:10 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• I've never changed his wash since he was a newborn (johnson & johnsons), so unless he developed a sensitivity to it, but I'd think it would be all over his body. And I only wear eye liner & mascara so that's not getting on him. and no lotions. But I would compare the city air to a smokers bar...
    MyPrideAndJoy18

Comment by MyPrideAndJoy18 (original poster) at 1:15 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• It could be that he is sensitive to the baby wash you are using since it comes and goes and you are using the same one all the time. It is possible to have periodic episodes of sensitivity like that. I would switch to something that is fragrance free and natural, like California Baby for instance. Or is could be heat rash related.
    cleanaturalady

Answer by cleanaturalady at 1:37 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Have you introduced any new foods? It could be an allergic reaction to something he's eating.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 9:14 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I asked my baby doctor right away as his acne was so bad it looked like it hurt even. The doctor told me to use Fostex, this was years ago so I'm not sure if they still make it. I bought a bar to use on the face, chest and back and a tube for washing his hair. Just be sure not to get in the eyes as it will hurt. Acne went away in a few days and only used an occasional time or two for flair ups.
    sew_n_mama

Answer by sew_n_mama at 3:24 PM on Aug. 24, 2010