What do you say when someone has had a death in the family?

No one has ever died in my family except my grandma(my moms mom and my dads mom). My mom's mom was sick from the time I was born until she died when I was 8 and I never met my dad's mom and she died when I was 16. I went to my mom's moms funeral(because we knew here) but not my dad's moms funeral because I had finals that week and my parents let me stay home(she lived in FL and we lived in CT). Since I never met her I didn't have to go.

My friend's great grandmother just died. I'm Agnostic and he's Baptist. What the heck do you say when someone has a death in the family?

NicholasMama608

Asked by NicholasMama608 at 1:08 PM on Aug. 22, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• It doesn't have to religious. Tell him you are sorry to hear about his loss, and if you feel comfortable offer to listen if he needs to talk or go grab a bite to eat or whatever. Just be a friend ;)
    blessedwithree

Answer by blessedwithree at 1:10 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• I'm sorry for your loss.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 1:11 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• I just usually say that Im sorry and I wish them tons of peace and strength during this hard time.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 3:21 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• I'm really sorry.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 1:09 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• I am so sorry for your loss. If you need to talk, I am here for you.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:11 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• I'm really sorry for your loss, she was a wonderful woman ad will be terribly missed. Let me know if there is anything I can do.
    katiekruschke

Answer by katiekruschke at 1:12 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Sorry for your loss or something general like that...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:25 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• I'm sorry for your loss....that's what I have always heard people say, religious or not.

aredlotus

Answer by aredlotus at 2:14 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• "I'm very sorry for your loss" or "Your family is in my thoughts" will work just fine. The sentiment is real and doesn't carry any religious implications.
    hepmommy

Answer by hepmommy at 6:33 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• sorta depends how close I am to the people in question. Usually I just offer my condolences and seriously theres no magic words that are going to fix it. If we're really close then I may go the extra step of reminiscing and talking about experiences with the person.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 7:54 AM on Aug. 23, 2010