Isn't WIC just for pregnant women and children ages 5 and under?

My mom texted me this morning asking me if her soon to be senior mother in law could get on WIC..apparently she was under the impression that she would qualify.
Now, I'm not 100% sure..but I was pretty sure that it was just meant for pregnant women/breastfeeding women and kids 5 and under.
Do you know?

kimberlyinberea

Asked by kimberlyinberea at 1:08 PM on Aug. 22, 2010 in Just for Fun

• You're right, hence the acronym (Women, Infants, Children). She can look into welfare, food stamps, meals on wheels, Medicare, etc, plus whatever is available in your state and/or county.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:41 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• yes preggos babies nursing moms and kids under 5 thats it not even daddies lol
    katiekruschke

Answer by katiekruschke at 1:10 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Only for pregnant women, and 6 months post-pardum I believe.. and children under 5.

WIC stands for Women, Infant, and Children
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 1:10 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• I believe it's just for pregnant women and young children, I've never heard of a senior receiving it. I think she would need to apply for food stamps if she needs help.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 1:10 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• as far as i know its just prego/bfeeding and children under 5
    momof4onesApup

Answer by momof4onesApup at 1:11 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• WIC ( WomenInfantsChildren ) so no she cannot but tell her to search local agencies in that area there should be some that do assist in things she would need ,
    mamahol

Answer by mamahol at 1:11 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• i believe it's it's pregnant/breastfeeding women, and children 5 and under. she can always call and ask the worst thing that could happen is them telling her that
    natasha86

Answer by natasha86 at 1:11 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• I thought it was for Women & Infant Children. But there is other programs for senior citizens. Here in Michigan there is Commodities and Focus Hope.

Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 1:12 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• WIC stands for Women Infant Children But Im sure the women part means being prego or having a baby recently. In my state if you breastfeed you get stuff for a year for yourself, if you formula you get stuff for yourself for 6m(and not as much stuff because they are spending so much in formula)
    Shani527

Answer by Shani527 at 1:14 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Maybe try Meals For Wheels?
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 1:15 PM on Aug. 22, 2010