Would taking fruit vitamins be just as good as eating the fruit?

I love fruit it is just that sometimes I get good tasting fruit and sometimes I get blah! tasting fruit I hate that because I want to eat alot of fruit but when it tastes nasty it makes me not want to eat fruit. I'd rather take a pill then to go through all that. Help!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:55 PM on Oct. 8, 2008 in Food & Drink

• No...it is not the same. A pill can never replace foods. There is more than just vitamins in the piece of fruit you eat...there are nutrients, enzymes, sugars, starches, fibers, etc that you cannot get in any vitamin pill. Better to learn how to select good, ripe fruit than to stop eating it. For example, stone fruits (cherries, nectarines, peaches, etc) should be firm but have a slight give at the stem end. They should also smell sweet, and generally speaking, should not be green (except for green plums). Watermelon: look for gold spot, heavy for size, sound solid when thumped. Apples: firm, tight skin (no wrinkles), heavy for size. Oranges: heavy for size. Don't worry if there is some green. The skin should be somewhat thin and smooth; thick, very bumpy skin means they're old.
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 8:12 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• No, but it's better than nothing. You get fiber and other nutrients that you don't get from the average nutritional supplement.
    amydh

Answer by amydh at 6:00 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• Fresh fruit and veggies are best. However, if you're not getting enough of what you need, I'd reccomend a high quality multi-vitamin to supplement your intake.
    MommaLucy

Answer by MommaLucy at 9:14 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

• Vitamin and mineral supplements are no substitute for good eating habits. Fruit and vegetables are rich in a range of nutrients, including fibre and antioxidants such as vitamins C, E and A (in the form of carotenes). Many of these nutrients are also available in the form of dietary supplements. However, current thinking suggests that it's unlikely that these nutrients work in isolation. Rather, it's a mixture of different components that seem to be the most effective. So, taking supplements won't necessarily have the same benefits as eating the recommended five portions of fruit and vegetables a day.
    njmommy2boys

Answer by njmommy2boys at 12:18 PM on Oct. 9, 2008