WIC shouldn't it be WIT?

If it only goes to age 5. Shouldn't it be Women Infants and Toddlers? Why do they stop at age 5? Should they offer partial packages to qualifying older children? Maybe just during the summer? My son just turned 5 and started school and even though he is in school w/ reduced meals I still have to provide his milk and dinner and snacks and stuff. All him meals on weekends and I fear for the summer. I know WIC isn't much but it helps soooo much. It's a big deal to not have to buy bread, milk, cheese, juice, beans and cereal each month. Anyone agree?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:28 PM on Aug. 22, 2010 in General Parenting

• i sooooo agree my son is fixing to be 8 in november and if i could of had a partial package during summer and what not for him the past 2 yrs that would of helped so much and my middle child will be 5 in dec so no more for her and they drink the heck out of milk so i totally agree
    momof4onesApup

Answer by momof4onesApup at 1:31 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• I still have to provide his milk and dinner and snacks and stuff. All him meals on weekends and I fear for the summer

Please don't take this the wrong way, but this is part of being a parent. You have to provide things for your children. It's great to have help, but remember that WIC is a supplemental program.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:31 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Hmm that's an interesting point.
    blessedwithree

Answer by blessedwithree at 1:30 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• That is a good point. Maybe the assumption is that after 5 a child will be in school and get appropriate nutrition there?
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 1:33 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• It's great while it lasts. I guess they figure there are other programs, charities, churches to help out families in need. Check your areas organizations to see where you can get some extra help.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 1:34 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• That is a good point.Maybe they just don't have the funding for it to carry on beyond that point. I don't know why they don't offer that.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 1:32 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• I understand they supplement...otherwise it would be food stamps... But if they are going to claim to be for children then they should be for children. As of now they are supplementing one of my children's needs based on the fact that DS is in school on reduced lunch. I am a single mother. I don't qualify for food stamps. I work my butt off and take what I can get help wise which is only daycare assistance and WIC. I didn't ask for my DH to die 3 years ago but when he did i had to step up and be the bread winner even if that meant gov't assistance.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:36 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• I agree with you I cant even imagine what it will be like when my son is 5. But right now if I lost my wic I wouldnt know what to do. Exspecially with this economy people need the help. You think they would want to help you longer to keep your children healthy. Do you happen to have a dollar tree where you live? those stores are amazing they have snacks and bread laundry soap and everything is a dollar. That could help cut costs in our they are adding a fridge area so who know what else they will have.
    young_teen_momm

Answer by young_teen_momm at 1:41 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• It's to age 5 because the first 5 years are the most important for development. WIC is meant to prevent nutritional deficiencies in the most at-risk populations. If they extended it to age 10, or 12, they'd have to help less kids overall... so it's better to help more kids for a shorter period of time seeing as that period of time is so important for brain development. Make sense? The program is having budget problems as it is, so IMO they should be reigning back benefits, not extending them.

If you are having trouble providing food to your son, maybe you should start looking for a better paying job? I know in this market it can take a while... but continually looking will eventually pay off. In the meantime, have you looked into angel food ministries or any local food shelfs? Help does not only come from the government. It's really more the place of private organizations anyway.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 1:49 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• I suppose it's not WIT because 3-4-5 year olds are considered children, not toddlers. If we're going to get technical, it should be PWPPWNWIYC. Pregnant Women, Post Partum Women, Nursing Women, Infants, and Young Children. I suppose it's easier for it to just be WIC.  I hope the OP doesn't think I was bashing her, or looking down on her at all, trust me I understand having a hard time supporting your family but not being poor enough for help.  My husband and I both work (although I'm just a part timer) and it's hard.

Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:59 PM on Aug. 22, 2010