Can someone be born smarter than others?

found this interesting while reading my psych book. wondering what are your thoughts?

Acoording to the book , The Bell curve:Intelligence and class structure in American life (1994.) Richard Henderson and Charles Murry , "Inequality, including intelligence is a reality. Trying to prove that inequality doesn't exist is a disaster " . By using the words "endowment " these authors imply that some people are naturally smarter than others, genetically gifted with higher IQ's than others, The book further asserts that group differences in intelligence are primarily racial and biological.not environmental, educational. pr psychological, and thus are not likely to change,

emilysmom1966

Asked by emilysmom1966 at 1:43 PM on Aug. 22, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• ok
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 1:44 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Can we say "DUH"? Basic biology and genetics says we aren't all born identical, so of course our intelligence levels aren't identical either.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:46 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• it's true, on some level we all have a capacity to learn and better ourselves but the reality is at the bottom of it to some it comes more easily and on the most basic level just think of the kids in the special ed classes, your telling me they were born with the same IQ as your child? Unfortunately no. that doesn't mean we shouldn't TREAT and VIEW each other as equals, but the reality is some of us are smarter than others we all have strengths and weaknesses
    katiekruschke

Answer by katiekruschke at 1:47 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Hmm.. That's interesting. I haven't read that, I just may need to.. Thanks for sharing. I may just check it out.

I'm not sure if I think some people are just naturally born more intelligent or "smarter". But I do think some people are born with attributes (personality wise and in regards to intelligence) that makes them: more interested in learning, find learning more interesting, makes learning new things easier for them, causes them to have a broader area of understanding/the ability to understand more, the ability to process information better.etc. I think these attributes contribute to someone striving to learn more so in turn they are or seem to be more "intelligent" in ways. Would these things be considered "intelligence" or are these things factors that contribute to intelligence. KWIM?
    Some choose to use these attributes to their advantage, maybe that's what makes them become more intelligent than others?
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 1:56 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Well, ok, explain socioeconomical factors that put some children at a disadvantage. How do you prove that the mother didn't infict some kind of trauma to the fetus putting it at a disadvantage. It's not really a "DUH"....
    emilysmom1966

Comment by emilysmom1966 (original poster) at 2:00 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• i know that some people just get things while others have to study and practice until it's right, just like different people are better at sports than others.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 2:10 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Of course all people are not born with the same intelligence (or strength, looks, etc.). But the last sentence of your question suggests that certain races are more intelligent as a whole? That I do not believe.

And yes, socioeconomic components affect the success, if not the intellectual capacity, of children. Read 'Savage Inequalities' to see the disparities in public schools and what they have to work with. If your school is underfunded and therefore understaffed, using 25 year old textbooks, then yes those kids are at an obvious disadvantage. As this book points out, most of the underfunded schools are urban with mostly an African-American population, while white children in the same general area go to more modern schools and have more opportunities.
    LittleWeloosMom

Answer by LittleWeloosMom at 2:16 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• I don't believe in that either it is just part of the quote from the book.
    emilysmom1966

Comment by emilysmom1966 (original poster) at 2:26 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Well but of course some people are born with better brain function than others. Just the same way that some people have better physical gifts.
    Micksbabe

Answer by Micksbabe at 2:42 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Of course some people are smarter. Some people are better spellers too, and some people are better at math. It's not just about education vs ignorance. Some people have better memories. One of the main reasons I don't like public school is this "everyone is equal" nonsense. Everyone is NOT equal. Some people are smart, and some people are stupid.
    soflashelley

Answer by soflashelley at 4:29 PM on Aug. 22, 2010