Any of your toddlers suddenly afraid of the dark?

When Raheem turned 16/17 mths he suddenly started to be afraid of dark places......he will cling unto me if the place is dark...or refuse to go in the room alone if light is off....he will point to the ceiling or the light switch for me to turn on the lights....i consider this strange.....we us to play hide and seek in the dark and he was a very active participant....always finding me in the DARK!

JAgirl

Asked by JAgirl at 9:02 AM on Jun. 30, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• This is very common. Though with my son it didn't happen till he was 3. It occurs at different ages for different children. (my daughter though is 3 and not afraid of the dark). All you can do at this point is be comforting and supportive. A nightlight helps greatly. He'll grow out of it. It just takes time.
    amethystrse

Answer by amethystrse at 9:09 AM on Jun. 30, 2008

• my son will be 22 months tomorrow and i think he is starrting to become afraid of the dark. he usally goes right to bed at night and now he screams his head off it will take him on hour to just fall asleep. it sux but im gonna have to find a night light for him cuz i feel really bad i hope that sloves the problem
    kelly87

Answer by kelly87 at 10:41 AM on Jun. 30, 2008