Are you going to send your child to preschool at some point before kindergarten? When?

blessedwithree

Asked by blessedwithree at 1:49 PM on Aug. 22, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Nope, not preschool. My son went to pre-K, at 4 years old, but that was at the elementary school he goes to now. My daughter did not go to preschool.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 1:21 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• my daughter went to preschool for 2 years..when she was 3, it was 2 days a week for 2.5hrs each day...when she was 4 it was 3 days a week for 2.5 hrs/day..my main reason of her going was 100% for the socialization..we moved, and she had absolutely no one to play with..so preschool was a good option!! and she happened to learn new things to, so it was great. she loooved it!! and it was only a few hrs so its not like she was gone allll day..it was perfect, let me do my errands without her, lol, leavbing omre time to spend with her..
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 1:54 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• All mines went to pre-school first then the next year 4 k.
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 1:53 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• yes. my 3yo starts this year
    dragonlady320

Answer by dragonlady320 at 1:54 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• My daughter wanted to go to school so we signed her up on her 3rd birthday. B-day gift shopping was easy that year. She went for two years and is in kindergarten now. Preschool was 5 days a week, 7 hours a day just like kindergarten. She loved it. And she was super prepared for real school this year.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 2:02 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• my 5 year old is starting school (kindergarden) on the first of september she didn't go to preschool. I have a 2.5 year old not sure if I am putting her in preschool or not yet
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 1:53 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• As soon as my DS 2.5 is potty trained I'm enrolling him in preschool. Our school district offers it, they go 3 times a week for a few hours each time. I think it's good for kids to be exposed to other kids their age in a structured environment, I think it makes them more ready for Kindergarten.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 1:58 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• I taught my son myself... he starts K on Tuesday. My other two also did not go and they are getting ready to graduate high school. I couldn't afford it.

Kiwismommy19 ~ OMG... we only have 1/2 day K (which is like 2.5 hours) ... 1-6 grade is only 6 hrs and that includes lunch and recess....
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 2:43 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Yes my twins will go to preschool, most likely. It kind of depends on where we are living at the time, we are military and currently in California. Here there are only half a dozen or so schools in our district that do a state funded pre k program and it is free but only to families that meet a low enough income status. I'm not sure if we meet the requirements or not and since the girls wont be 4 until next school year I don't know if the requirements will change. So if we can get free pre-k then they will absolutely be going, but if we have to pay then they won't be. There is no way we could afford pre-k for 2 kids on my DH military salary. I'm a certified elem. school teacher and will be doing pre-school at home if they don't go to pre-k.
    mrspierce06

Answer by mrspierce06 at 4:49 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• My girls all went to preschool at some time. All through the same program with the Chicago Park District (2 days a week for 1 1/2-2 hours each day). My oldest went when she was 4. My middle daughter when for just half a year when she was 5 to get her ready for kindergarten since she was very clingy. My youngest went last year at 3 1/2.
    My oldest son never went (he's going into 3rd grade this year and is doing fine in school). The youngest girl won't go this year since we moved and can't afford regular preschool. She'll start kindergarten in 2011.
    And the preschool at my kids old school was full day, 7 days a week. Same hours as all the other grades went (7:50am-2:20pm) and it was for 3-4 year olds. Many of those kids also went to extended day (after school care at the school) while their parents worked.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 4:50 PM on Aug. 22, 2010