How can a non relative find out if someone passed away or not?

My Ex boyfriend had a friend who tried to commit suicide. I can find the news articles that say he was taken to the hospitable with non life threating injuries. BUT my ex told me that while in the OR something or another happened and he passed away. I asked to go to the funeral, he didnt want to because the suicide attempt was because they had gotten into a huge fight. And so I asked him to take me after the funeral when there wouldnt be his family around and he still refused. NOW Im wondering if this friend even died. Im not sure where he would have been buried at, if he was.
(and yes I feel that my ex would have lied about something like that because he was very jelouse of his friend and mine friendship, he even accused me of sleeping with him and saying that our son was actually his because he had brown hair like me instead of blond like him)

Shani527

Asked by Shani527 at 1:51 PM on Aug. 22, 2010 in Relationships

• Google SSDI and look up his name or try the Death Index for your state. If nothing, then contact the obit archives dept of the local paper. They can search for you.

Answer by admckenzie at 2:58 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• check death notices and obituaries, and if the guy has a facebook see if anyone has posted any "missing you" messages on his wall if they have you can try contacting one of those people maybe they can tell you where he is buried and if it's true i am so sorry for your loss suicide is a horrible thing to deal with
    katiekruschke

Answer by katiekruschke at 1:53 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Check the local obituaries. Also, you could probably just call the hospital and ask.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:53 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• i would probably stop talking to ur ex till u figure out whats going on as well
    katiekruschke

Answer by katiekruschke at 1:54 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• this happened a few years ago.....but it bothers me to this day, not knowing for sure.
    Shani527

Comment by Shani527 (original poster) at 2:04 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• that actually might make it a little easier since the person who should be dead will now have a trail if they are alive search public court records phone listings facebook myspace the works, google his name, if you found an article about him being taken the hospital but NOT a death notice there is a good chance he didn't die do you know anyone else who knows him?

katiekruschke

Answer by katiekruschke at 2:07 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• if you want some help send me the guys name his birthday (or the month and rough year he was born) the year he supposedly passed and the area he lived in when he passed and i'll see if i can find anything
    katiekruschke

Answer by katiekruschke at 2:08 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• google his name with the words "death, obituary, passed away" and see what comes up. also most counties have websites for death notices. do you know anyone else that personally knows him? ask them.
    lillie70

Answer by lillie70 at 2:20 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• thats a good idea lillie70
    katiekruschke

Answer by katiekruschke at 2:24 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Even if it happened a few years ago; you can still check the obituaries- They should go back that far- i hope your EX didn't Lie to you about something like that; That would be Horrible! Good Luck-
    daisyb

Answer by daisyb at 3:10 PM on Aug. 22, 2010