What to do when your kid wants to eat just snacks and sometimes not even that

I have a 17 month old little girl and recently i dont know whats going on with her sometimes she has the best appitite. And other time she either wants to eat snacks or nothing at all. So what can i do?

mommyofone32408

Asked by mommyofone32408 at 6:25 PM on Oct. 8, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Oh I can relate!! I'd love an answer to this too!
    sugarmama01

Answer by sugarmama01 at 7:09 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• The remarkable thing about kids this age is that they listen to their bodies (adults can take a lesson!). Instead of focusing each meal or snack, look at the big picture. If she's only eating junk food -- get it out of the house. But kids will usually listen to what their bodies want, so she may prefer "snacking" to big meals. Some kids will each just grilled cheese for three days -- because their body is craving calcium and/or Vitamin D. Overall, does your girl eat healthy food and is she gaining weight appropriately. That's what is really important.
    WD40

Answer by WD40 at 7:41 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• My little one does that once in a while (he's three and a half), what I do is slice up some apples, give him a dollop of peanut butter and let him just have fun. I do snack trays with cheese and grapes and he likes crackers too so I add those. I give him lots of milk and organic low sugar juice. I love the advice WD-40 gave you. Don't sweat it some kids just prefer to eat this way. If you are really concerned , talk to your pediatrician.
    hibicent

Answer by hibicent at 8:05 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• my two will do that too. and i do what wd40 does. I just get 'snacks' and give them the option. normally its cut up fruits, or dried fruits, cheeses, whole grain crackers, or even the veggie cups. even cut up lunch meat sometimes.

good luck!
    AliciaO

Answer by AliciaO at 8:35 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• I've noticed my son's (19 months) appetite depends on how regular his poo poo is. As well as activity level, and hydration. I give him 2 ounces of juice and 4 ounces (3 oz to 6 oz) of water in a bottle while I prepare a meal and I also encourage him to run around and dance to work up a appetite. Then after he eats i give him another bottle and that helps to keep him regular and it keeps his appetite up. Funny thing is I noticed I am the same way too. If I'm not regular my appetite goes down.

rkms_mom

Answer by rkms_mom at 2:56 AM on Oct. 9, 2008