If you had no other income is it okay to quit your job before having another ready to start?

My bro-in-law is very proud his gf quit her job, although her paycheck was their only income. (Well, he gets disability but it is automatically withdrawn for their mortgage) Her check paid their bills, bought their groceries and fed their 4 dogs, now they have no money coming in, aside from one last paycheck she has. She has no job lined up, she just said she couldn't handle they way she was treated anymore ( she was a CNA, btw), and gave her 2 week notice. I just know that we are going to start getting calls asking for money before too long, and while I'd really rather tell them "no", they have a 2 year old son who needs food, diapers, etc.. I'd hate to see my nephew go without because his parents made a stupid decision.

Mystyk_moon

Asked by Mystyk_moon at 2:26 PM on Aug. 22, 2010 in Money & Work

• OMG... in this economy I would have told her to suck it up and stick it out.... She quit, which means she isn't eligible for unemployment... if she calls you, tell her she should have planned better...there are people out there, who's factories closed and haven't been able to get a job in a year and a half...she was lucky she had a job!
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 2:33 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• it sounds to me like they aren't very smart, i hope their pride can pay their bills. tell them you wont help them, they made their bed and now they can lay in it.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 2:36 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• That is very irresponsible, especially now when jobs are so hard to come by. She should have stuck it out until she had another job, in my opinion. Do they have enough on their bank account to survive for a couple months? What are they doing for insurance for their son?

If they start asking you for money, I would go and buy the particular items for their son myself, diapers, food, etc. I would help for things he needs directly, not just give them money. They need to think of their child first, which is why you keep a job until you have another one lined up when you are the sole provider.
    kathria

Answer by kathria at 2:36 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Not in their economy. I got into that situation before too. You have to realize, it's probably going to be a good two weeks after you start the job before you see a paycheck. So, no. It's not a good idea. Chances are she is going to run out of money. I'd just pretend I didn't hear the phone. LOL!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 2:39 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• I would never quit my job without having another lined up. Having children or not. Know a days jobs are hard to come by. At least in my area. I think she made a stupid decision but hey her decision has nothing to do with you so if they call you asking for cash go and get what the LO needs and drop it off but don't give them cash. That's what I would do.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 2:46 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• No, not even if you were single. It's not okay to do that. If you have bills to pay, family to feed, etc you need to be responsibile.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 3:49 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• This sounds like a couple that is happy to milk the system. No, especially in this day and economic crisis, it is not ok to leave a job without another one. And it's certainly not OK to milk the system in any way.
    MandyRowland

Answer by MandyRowland at 11:20 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• The only income and quitting a job is surely a stupid move! I'd make them get rid of those dogs before I'd give them a dime! Let them tuff it out and wait until they hit rock bottom to appreciate what they had. Why should you support a stupid move? But, hey, it's money you have to burn, right? Just the same to give money to a crack addict. Rewarding bad decisions helps no one and costs everyone everything! Now, go do the right thing!
    NikkiVan1

Answer by NikkiVan1 at 12:35 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• That wasn't the smartest move for her. The economy still isn't so hot, so there's no guarantee she will find another job. In my area, there are many more CNA's than there are jobs to fill. At one time i worked in HR, so I also know that quitting a job just because she couldn't take it any more is a really bad sign and will be a mark against her in getting hired again. It's better to "suck it up" until something else turns up. I agree with PP about getting rid of the dogs, that's an unneeded expense. If you want to help your nephew, which is good, agree with buying the things he needs rather than just giving them money.
    mikesmom65270

Answer by mikesmom65270 at 4:29 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Thank you all for your answers, I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who thinks they behaved stupidly, as many said, with the economy and how hard it is to find a job. As for the dogs, I tend to agree with those who said they should get rid of them, finding them good homes would be the best thing for them,especially since 2 of his dogs are either caged up or chained all day, while the other 2 have free run of the house and property. They are large dogs, 2 rottweilers and 2 shepards, so they eat alot. We've been telling him for along time to at least give up the 2 younger dogs, but he would feed them before himself, and refuses to let them go.
    Mystyk_moon

Comment by Mystyk_moon (original poster) at 7:05 PM on Aug. 23, 2010