Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How can I get my brother off my back?

I recently lost my job and had to move in with my brother. I am a single mom and just started to recieve state benefits. I give him half of what I get + I buy all the groceries with my food stamps. He constantly complains about me getting a job, and how my daughter is so spoiled. It's not as if I'm not trying to get a job, and I also do all the domestic duties around the house. Can someone please advise?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 6:32 PM on Oct. 8, 2008 in Relationships

Answers (4)
  • He seems like the type of person that is used to living alone. My advice be there as short as possible and get your own place and such.

    Answer by awife1life3kids at 6:40 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

  • Sounds to me like your brother is a typical guy who'd treat his girl the same way. Hmm, I don't know what to suggest because I don't know his age nor do I know the age of your baby. I mean, with guys, their age usually dictate their mentality and actions, so trying to get him off your back may be a lost cause. He may not budge. But at the same time, I don't believe in staying somewhere where I'm not wanted. Make sure you weigh all your options. Have you thought about a shelter? I know that sounds harsh, but some shelters are really nice and will do good by you to get you on your feet and help you with housing.

    Answer by SugaB28 at 6:42 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

  • I would find another place to live. It won't be easy, but you can get another roommate, look for a studio, etc. You can also get help with rent until you find work...there are quite a few social programs that can help. It just isn't worth the misery he's causing you...not all prices are paid with cash.

    Answer by jespeach at 9:01 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

  • Just ignore him don' t go to a dumb old shelter. That's dumb your no being abused.The best advice I can give you is to go back to shool full time go get your AA degree the state will pay for it it's called BOG and you can get finicial aid that will help you pay your rent and you can also get cal works that will cover all your books supplies and other fees . The state will pay for your child care. You are young do something for yourself get a degree and then when your done in two years you can show him that degree and shove it in his face.

    Answer by monica277 at 6:51 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.