tantrums in one year old

Hello,

We didn't expect that our sweet-natured (though fiesty) one-year-old would suddenly transform in to a baby who whines a lot and has full-blown tantrums when things are taken away from her. This is very new to us! When we're out in a store, she points to everything and when she cannot have it, the tantrum begins. She can be distracted but sometimes she persists and frankly, it's downright annoying. We do speak to her in a calm voice, telling her we're sorry she's disappointed that she cannot have/hold/touch whatever it is, and sometimes my husband tells her a firm "no". Just wondering who else is dealing with this? Thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:50 PM on Aug. 22, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Let her take a toy from home with her shopping. In a pinch I allowed my kids to hold the things they wanted to touch while in the store. Before I left I returned them and they didn't even think about it until later. It saved me lots of headaches.

Answer by admckenzie at 2:52 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• When in the store and my son grabs something, within reason, I let him keep it and hold it. Then at check out, it just doesn't get checked out. LOL Saves me the tantrum. Or one of you stay home with her and the other go shopping.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 3:03 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Babies that young are reactive and show emotion with their whole body. Put yourself in her shoes. So many exciting thing in arms reach yet denied! It helps to acknowledge those feelings, talk about the exciting items, and even show how to touch properly (pushing a test me button for example). You will find a balance. She is allowed to be mad and upset, using her body is the only way to express it. Babies worn in a sling/wrap/mei tai on the back or hip is much more content because the can see and intereact through you.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 4:49 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Its called ignoring the behavior. If you dont get upset and you stay calm the child will calm down and be redirected. Dont try to explain there is no use at this time. Just say no and nothing else. Go about your normal shopping and if you feel embarrassed when people look just smile and continue shopping. The child will soon stop when they see it has no affect on you.
    mochalatta20

Answer by mochalatta20 at 9:44 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• my daughters doing this lately she just turned one and everytime we go to the store she wants something and when i tell her no the tantrum starts and recently she started doing it at home too if someone touches her toys or she sees someone with something she wants she throws a fit i havent figd out what to do and shes my 1st child we just keep trying no and timeout whenwere at home dont know about out and about
    gizmom529

Answer by gizmom529 at 4:40 AM on Aug. 23, 2010