For all the SAHM and working moms- would you want your daughter to do as you did?

I am full time working career mom. I want my daughter to do as I did, graduate from college get a career and work. There are a lot of advantages and disadvatages about being a working mom, but I would want my daughter to do as I do. WHat about you?

emilysmom1966

Asked by emilysmom1966 at 3:01 PM on Aug. 22, 2010 in General Parenting

• No, I want my daughters to do as they choose. Just because something was right for you doesn't mean you get to push your kids to make the same choices. I will not judge them if they choose to be working moms, but there are a lot of advantages to staying at home, too.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 3:03 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• I have a son, but regardless, I'd want my child to grow up doing what made him or her happy.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 3:03 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• If I were to have a daughter, Id want what would make her feel happy.. Having a career isn't everyhting, although I admire the moms that have one.

It depends on the child, & her life choices...
    lilmoosesmom

Answer by lilmoosesmom at 3:03 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• I don't want my daughter to enlist in the military. I would rather she went in as an officer. However, what she does with her life is not my choice. If she wants to have 10 kids and stay at home with them or be a career woman, I will support her.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 3:03 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• I don't have a daughter, I have 3 sons. If I did have a daughter, I would want her to do what worked best for her family, not necessarily what I thought was best. I had a mother like that, she was way too pushy in wanting me to live a life that she thought I should live. It didn't work and we have a very strained relationship because of it.

I am a SAHM.
    Courtney610

Answer by Courtney610 at 3:05 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• I have a son too but either way I want my child(ren) to do whatever makes her happy whether or not that means doing as I did. As long as they're happy but at the same time thinking about what will make them happy in the future and going for what they want that's all I'd ask for.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 3:05 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• I graduated college and had a baby and once my children are grown I will work. I feel as if it's the best of both worlds. I'm educated and in the event that I would need to get a job I could. As for now I am here for all of my baby's firsts :) I love being with her and I feel like I am a very lucky woman with a wonderful man who supports her. I want my lil girl and my future children to do what they want, but I would be more than thrilled if she decided to do as I did. I don't think anything can replace a SAHM and the advantages of having your own mother be with you everyday :)
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 3:05 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• I can't be so diplomatic. I guess I got that overbearing quality from my mom. I am a product of divorce. It has shaped me into what i am today. I would like to know that my daughter is able to survive if her husband died or divorced her. here are many times I wish I could stay home and be a wonderful SAHM. I admire them too. It's just not in me.
    emilysmom1966

Comment by emilysmom1966 (original poster) at 3:09 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Sure I would like my daughter to do as I do- go to college, have a career, stand on her own feet. But if that's not what makes her happy, that's ok too. If she chooses to be a SAHM, I'll be happy to see her happy.

But she IS going to go to college so she can have the choice.
    mygirlpaige

Answer by mygirlpaige at 3:09 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• I want my daughter to do what makes her happy and I hope that includes going to college so even if she decides to stay home, she has something to fall back on. Maybe even work at home. Ultimately, it's her business but if she asked, I would point out that anything can happen at any time and it's good to be able to stand on your own.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 3:09 PM on Aug. 22, 2010