• In the Spotlight:

How do you get rid of fruit flies?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:37 PM on Oct. 8, 2008 in Food & Drink

• get rid of the rotton fruit before the flies start coming in
    Anonymous

• The rotting fruit is attracting the flies, so get rid of whatever is rotting.
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 6:48 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• I know what u r going through supposibly the gnats hitch a ride from the grocery store and come out when they want. I usually put all my fruit in the fridge. Or cover them with a kitchen towel those two ideas help me out. but it does not really resolve the problem completely. Hope this helps you.
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 6:53 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• get a fly ribbion they cost a dollar four 4 and mine went away in 3 days tops good luck
    lindnrenn

Answer by lindnrenn at 6:58 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• Yes, get rid of the 'offending' item...but, put a glass of wine or other liquor out and they will be attracted to it and drown.
    WD40

Answer by WD40 at 7:33 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• clean......they only have a reason to be there if they have something to feed on.
    Anonymous

• Get a bottle and put some sprite or juice or wine in the bottom, about an inch. Make a cone shaped funnel out of paper--regular or waxed--and put the small end in the bottle. The liquid will attract them, and they'll get in but can't get out, so they die. You'll probably need to leave it about 3 days. In the meantime, any fruit or wine should be stored in the refrigerator, and you'll need to wipe down all the surfaces in the kitched with bleach water. After a few days, your problem should be gone. Worked for me.
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 8:01 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• oh, I forgot to mention...fruit flies do not just breed on rotting fruit. They will breed on any moist, organic materials. Fresh fruit and vegetables are just as susceptible as over-ripe...so are kitchen sponges. If you use a sponge, clean it with bleach water and dry, then store in a plastic baggie. Better yet, don't use a sponge..they're breeding grounds for germs. Also, clean your garbage disposal, and check the filters on your dishwasher. For the disposal, use ammonia to clean, and do it every few hours throughout the day for 1 day. Good luck
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 8:07 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• I second the answer by jespeach - I did the same things and it did work.
    VirginiaLW

Answer by VirginiaLW at 9:17 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• put vinegar in a bowl and cover it with saran wrap and put a little hole in the center of the saran wrap. they will attract to it and they fly in and cant get back out. Hope this helps.
    Katelyn1974

Answer by Katelyn1974 at 10:50 PM on Oct. 8, 2008