Could he be sick?

Last night I noticed my 9 week old had a raspy voice when he cries or coos. It went a way a little after I fed him and I didn't notice it much this morning. My mother who watches him during the day says she thinks he might have a cold. What indications would there be if he really was sick? He doesn't have a fever. He's fussy but he's always fussy! How could I tell if I needed to call the doctor?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:37 PM on Oct. 8, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If he does have a cold, there isn't much a doctor can do other than figuring out if it is bacterial or viral. If it is viral, they can prescribe medication, but if it is bacterial, there is nothing they can take. My son got his first cold around that age and we had to work through it. He recently had another cold and again could not take anything (4 mo).

Good luck :)
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 6:47 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• You would have to contact the doctor only if he is either wheezing (hissing sounds from his lungs) or if he has a fever above 99 degrees. If you are giving him formula watch him just in case he develops an allergic reaction such as throat irritation which could cause the rasp in his voice. If he has no other symptoms such as runny nose, sneezing or coughing then there is no cause for concern. The rasp in his voice is probably just another stage in his voice development. Also, do you have a humidifier where he sleeps. If not you should get one or put a bowl of water by the radiator his throat could just be dry. Since it went back to normal after you fed him that means his food added some lubrication to his throat. I experience all the same issues with my son when he was young. He's 10 months now.Good luck and God bless.
    aziza4

Answer by aziza4 at 6:57 PM on Oct. 8, 2008